London (change)
Thu 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
2 messages
30/04/2012 at 17:21

Hey everyone,
My name is Amy and I am hoping you can help me as I am seriously new to all this gardening lark (Have LITERALLY only just mowed the lawn for the first time in my life). I have a well established Acer (No idea of the species) which I have had for 4 years, amazingly without killing it  Its potted in John Inns compost and has just thrived. I recently moved house and it seems to love its spot in the garden.
Long story short I have been bitten by the green finger bug and decided to grow some Veg in pots this year, and in an enthusiastic effort I saw what I thought were weeds in the pot of my Acer. I could see about 8 shoots, and it wasn't until I ripped out the first three (roots did come with it) that I realised that actually these weren't weeds but seedlings.
I did my research and it said to dig out the seedlings carefully, trying to get as much soil on the roots as possible for transport. It was difficult to do this as it seems that my Acer has a lot of roots and I didn't want to damage Mummy Acer (as she has been nick named), so I gently dug around with my fingers and the tip of my trowel and managed to get the other seedlings outs with a little more care. They have all been potted in Eracious (sp?) soil and I have put the pots next to Mummy Acer again as they seem to like this position.
This was a week ago roughly, and they have survived all the rain we have had, but 2 of them are looking a little bit sick (Yellowing leaves) and I REALLY don't want them to die, especially as I have been so excited about having Mummy Acer seed (Seems as if there are quite a few more tiny tiny seeds which have sprouted as well).
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me! I couldn't have left the seedlings in the main pot with Mummy Acer, but I really don't want to kill the first thing I have ever potted (My seeds don't count yet as they have not sprouted). Any hints and tips on how to keep them alive would be amazing and most certainly on what I should and shouldn't do when it comes to digging up the remaining babies in with Mummy.
Thank you for your time in reading this post.
Amy
x

30/04/2012 at 17:44

You posted this twice. I have replied to the other post.

email image
2 messages