London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
9 messages
31/05/2012 at 18:53

Hi all,

I have 2 acers, one green and one dark red (don't know the names as they were from bargain bench in local garden centre 2 years ago and had no labels!) They are both in big pots in ericaceous compost. They are in shade most of the day apart from a few hours in the morning, and right beside the house so fairly sheltered. About a month ago the green one's leaves started going brown and shrivelling up, and all the branch tips are dying back. Now its happening to the red one too I have no idea what might be wrong or what to do, any ideas please? Thanks.

31/05/2012 at 19:15

Have they always been potted up in ericaceous compost ? I only ask because I use bog standard multi-purpose for acers.

31/05/2012 at 21:11

Might sound obvious, but have you watered them enough? Are they in a windy spot?

And yes, they don't need ericaceous compost - multipurpose is fine.

01/06/2012 at 09:29

Yes, they've always been in ericaceous, as both our local garden centres advised me thats what they needed! and I've been quite diligent watering them! Green one now has only 2 leaves, very sad

01/06/2012 at 10:01

The wind of earlier in the year when the young leaves were emerging did not help but I think a few of mine suffered the same fate as yours due to the heavy rain. It compacted the soil enough that it stayed wet for ages and caused root problems. I removed mine from their pots, loosened the soil, added a small amount of fertiliser and am hoping ther their reserve leaves emerge. I scratched the trunk and they are still green underneath - so do the same. Even if no new leaves come out this year I would wait to see if they emerge next, so keep watering and looking after them.

01/06/2012 at 10:33

Because acers naturally grow under trees in leaf litter, a myth has developed that they need ericaceous soil. They will grow in ericaceous soil, but don't need it to thrive.

03/06/2012 at 22:39
Alina W wrote (see)

Because acers naturally grow under trees in leaf litter, a myth has developed that they need ericaceous soil. They will grow in ericaceous soil, but don't need it to thrive.

Quite true! I use compost from my garden but do give an ericauous feed when I can remember to do so which is not that often.

04/06/2012 at 09:45

I have one green acer of roughly ten years in the ground and one red one at two yrs old in a stone pot with ericaceous soil. I read/heard somewhere that the red ones are more partial to acid soil but to be honest, I need to put the red one on the ground in the next year or so anyhow so its gonna have to tough it out in my sandy soil.

Last time I did a soil test I was just about neutral.

04/06/2012 at 10:04

I have a red acer in the ground - my soil sounds very similar to yours, being slightly acid - and it has thrived for the last 20 years, so I wouldn't worry about it. Especially as I think it's probably hit alkaline builders' rubbish long ago

email image
9 messages