London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
7 messages
25/10/2012 at 16:55

Hello

Is now it a good time to plant acers in pots for outside (Im concerned about the weather, but love the look of them)

(new to gardening)

D

25/10/2012 at 17:17
Deev8 wrote (see)

Hello

Is now it a good time to plant acers in pots for outside (Im concerned about the weather, but love the look of them)

(new to gardening)

D

Now -or in the Spring-but not when the ground is waterlogged or frozen -they do best in dappled shade.

25/10/2012 at 17:43

thankyou

25/10/2012 at 19:19
Oooh good. Bought one months ago and STILL haven't planted it, as keep meaning to have a bit of a dig first but don't get round to it. I'm a novice too, and only just worked out that planting in November is ok. I'd have guessed it'd be too late for plants to establish before winter.
25/10/2012 at 19:22

The idea is to plant whilst the ground is still relatively warm and moist- so that is why Autumn is ideal-not the dead of winter-or plant in Spring when it starts warming up again.

25/10/2012 at 19:58

I have 2 Acers planted in pots 6 - 7 years ago. Last year I planted 1 in the ground, semi shadey and as a backdrop for [new venture]  a wild flower bed. Its fine!. This acer and the 1 still in a pot are the same. This year is the first year they have not dropped their leaves during August/September. I assume this is due to the heavy rainfall. Both are proected from the wind and the rain but must have benefitted from the extra water??  

? If they are in a pot do they need th establish themselves? Does anyone else feed their Acer in spring?

26/10/2012 at 08:57

I love Acers and have several in pots,I never feed them but water them often in the summer,some are now quite large,taller than me (1.8m). I have considered planting some of them in the ground. They can get quite large so leave them space. Now is a great time for planting most things if they are hardy.A good way to find out if they are hardy is to go to a garden centre, if the plants are outside they should be hardy enough to plant in your garden. Have fun. 

email image
7 messages