Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

Hello

Is now it a good time to plant acers in pots for outside (Im concerned about the weather, but love the look of them)

(new to gardening)

D

sotongeoff
Deev8 wrote (see)

Hello

Is now it a good time to plant acers in pots for outside (Im concerned about the weather, but love the look of them)

(new to gardening)

D

Now -or in the Spring-but not when the ground is waterlogged or frozen -they do best in dappled shade.

thankyou

Supernoodle
Oooh good. Bought one months ago and STILL haven't planted it, as keep meaning to have a bit of a dig first but don't get round to it. I'm a novice too, and only just worked out that planting in November is ok. I'd have guessed it'd be too late for plants to establish before winter.
sotongeoff

The idea is to plant whilst the ground is still relatively warm and moist- so that is why Autumn is ideal-not the dead of winter-or plant in Spring when it starts warming up again.

Advertisement

I have 2 Acers planted in pots 6 - 7 years ago. Last year I planted 1 in the ground, semi shadey and as a backdrop for [new venture]  a wild flower bed. Its fine!. This acer and the 1 still in a pot are the same. This year is the first year they have not dropped their leaves during August/September. I assume this is due to the heavy rainfall. Both are proected from the wind and the rain but must have benefitted from the extra water??  

? If they are in a pot do they need th establish themselves? Does anyone else feed their Acer in spring?

I love Acers and have several in pots,I never feed them but water them often in the summer,some are now quite large,taller than me (1.8m). I have considered planting some of them in the ground. They can get quite large so leave them space. Now is a great time for planting most things if they are hardy.A good way to find out if they are hardy is to go to a garden centre, if the plants are outside they should be hardy enough to plant in your garden. Have fun. 

Do try to keep it out of cold, drying winds - the leaves shrivel up at the edges and look miserable till they fall off or you trim them off.  They do get replaced, but for a while it looks really tatty and miserable.

Can you tell me a good soil to plant my acers into they will be in pots.  As my ground is very chalky.