Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Acers

Hi I have bought two acers 'Little Princess' and 'Sumi-nagashi' for our new garden and they are not sprouting. I think they have had a bit of wind damage and perhaps not liking the position they are in, I have dug one up and put it in a pot and moved it to a sheltered area but it is still not doing anything.  The twigs look brown and a bit dead but are alive on the inside any hints and tips would be appreciated.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

Hi there. My acers usually get dead bits during the winter and once they start into growth I just nip the dead bits off with the secateurs. The one you have potted up needs to have time to settle in so just keep an eye on it. Wind and sun are their worst enemies.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hello. I had a similar problem with some of my acers last year, when I put them where the early morning sun could scorch them. I have since moved them into a shady corner which serves the dual purpose of brightening up the corner and protecting the foliage. I've also potted them in John Innes ericaceous compost , as they prefer acid soil. So far so good, they seem much healthier this year. Hope this is helpful.