Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Achillea

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Now that I've retired I've resolved to be more consistent re dead-heading in the summer, and it's certainly paying dividends; but what about achilleas?

I've read conflicting information.  Some say deadhead them, some don't.  Some say leave the seeds for the finches; some say cut and dry the flowers for winter decorations.

Do you deadhead your achilleas?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I snip mine too, I have never seen a bird on, fantastic for bees and butterflies when in flower though.

I cant see my garden unless I purposely go down there, so I just have a good tidy up when I can.

They do get leggy, the cloth of gold is about 6ft tall, well staked, so when its finished flowering the whole thing is chopped to ground level

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I like the dieing flowers on mine, so i leave them

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I like pictures of them especially the orangy/coppery ones, but I can't get on with them in the garden, they look messy but not in a good way.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

One I have comes out a mid yellow colour then fades to pale yellow and white but I must remember to stake it next year before it needs it, only 3 feet but flopping all over. I have left the seed heads on before for 'Winter interest' but unlike sedums etc it just looks scruffy. That one is about to go over now but I have some I did from seed which are in bud, these are much stockier plants and don't need staking.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

Achillia's grow well in wildflower meadow, so now is the time to cut them back

I have made frames out of sheep netting, dont know what you call it in other regions, stiff wire with 4"squares, cut about 2'accross with a cane on each corner, they grow up through there and stay reasonably tidy.

The pink one is much shorter but still in a frame.

I wont be cutting mine down yet, its only just coming out.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I think it's called stock fencing Lyn.  Is it the one with big square holes you see on farms?

Thats it mrs G, we call it pig or sheep netting, but it makes really good plant supports.