London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 4°C
1 to 20 of 41 messages
31/07/2014 at 08:37

Now that I've retired I've resolved to be more consistent re dead-heading in the summer, and it's certainly paying dividends; but what about achilleas?

I've read conflicting information.  Some say deadhead them, some don't.  Some say leave the seeds for the finches; some say cut and dry the flowers for winter decorations.

Do you deadhead your achilleas?

31/07/2014 at 08:51

Morning Dove.

I have a love/ hate thing with Achilleas.  Mainly because they can get leggy. However always have a couple of them.

Yes, I do deadhead.  As flowers begin to fade I snip off the stem to buds/shoots.  Makes for more compact, attractive, fresh and floriferous appearance. 

Lyn
31/07/2014 at 09:21

I snip mine too, I have never seen a bird on, fantastic for bees and butterflies when in flower though.

I cant see my garden unless I purposely go down there, so I just have a good tidy up when I can.

They do get leggy, the cloth of gold is about 6ft tall, well staked, so when its finished flowering the whole thing is chopped to ground level

31/07/2014 at 12:08

I like the dieing flowers on mine, so i leave them

31/07/2014 at 12:44

Cloth of gold put me off a bit from growing Achilleas.  Yes, Lyn, 6' is about right.  I think if put way back in the border it could work or en masse in very large garden with grasses and cannas.  My varieties are more compact. 

31/07/2014 at 14:05

I like pictures of them especially the orangy/coppery ones, but I can't get on with them in the garden, they look messy but not in a good way.

31/07/2014 at 14:46

One I have comes out a mid yellow colour then fades to pale yellow and white but I must remember to stake it next year before it needs it, only 3 feet but flopping all over. I have left the seed heads on before for 'Winter interest' but unlike sedums etc it just looks scruffy. That one is about to go over now but I have some I did from seed which are in bud, these are much stockier plants and don't need staking.

31/07/2014 at 15:03

Achillia's grow well in wildflower meadow, so now is the time to cut them back

Lyn
31/07/2014 at 21:28

I have made frames out of sheep netting, dont know what you call it in other regions, stiff wire with 4"squares, cut about 2'accross with a cane on each corner, they grow up through there and stay reasonably tidy.

The pink one is much shorter but still in a frame.

I wont be cutting mine down yet, its only just coming out.

01/08/2014 at 08:37

I think it's called stock fencing Lyn.  Is it the one with big square holes you see on farms?

Lyn
01/08/2014 at 08:54

Thats it mrs G, we call it pig or sheep netting, but it makes really good plant supports.

01/08/2014 at 09:22

That's good I've got a roll in the shed and some very floppy plants!

01/08/2014 at 09:54

I used to grow Achillea 'Cerise Queen' and I deadheaded. We get too much rain in autumn so plants don't often get the frosted thing - they just look lousy.  I'm a bit like Verd - I like plants being tidy so I prefer to remove spent flower heads as often as possible unless it's something I particularly want to seed around. 

01/08/2014 at 10:19

Verdun...what compact Achilles have you got?? Mine is the pink flowers and its so very tall. Pretty flowers but rather untidy.

01/08/2014 at 15:02

Fluffy Cloud

Walther Funcke, nice coppery orange.  I cut it back in early June and it makes height of about 2' 6"".   Moonshine too is about the same after the same treatment.  Secret is to grow in poorish,,dryish soil I think.  Terracotta is also nice, for an achillea, at about 3'.  All compact when compared with Cloth of Gold.  

Lyn
01/08/2014 at 15:23

Coppery orange sounds nice. I love them when they are fr esh, shame they go over, I did Chelsea chop mine, the pink one stayed quite short.

Mrs G, if you cut it with about 4 x 4 squares and leave a long 'tail' on each corner, you wrap that round the cane, start them off low and as the plant grows you can lift it higher,  you wil need a pair of pliers to twist it round the cane.

01/08/2014 at 20:22

Thanks I will try that!

01/08/2014 at 20:26

This is all very interesting and helpful - thank you everyone - carry on 

03/08/2014 at 09:58

Tks Verdun...on the shopping list.

03/08/2014 at 10:33
Fluffy Cloud wrote (see)

Tks Verdun...on the shopping list.

I can send you pieces of walther Funcke and terracotta if you like. It'll be in the autumn as I'm dividing and moving them both.That's if you don't mind small plants to bring on.

1 to 20 of 41 messages