9 messages
21/07/2012 at 11:51
I have just bought an acre flamingo which I want to grow as a shrub. Any help please.
21/07/2012 at 21:14
Very easy to grow in ordinary soil. Mine is 10 years old and I cut it hard back every spring. To keep it extra bushy I pinch out the growing points two or,three times during the season. Fantastic foliage impact
21/07/2012 at 21:37

Hi John and Christopher , John have you got an acer ( japanese maple ) flamingo or a salix ( willow ) flamingo ?  Christopher -  I'm really surprised that you are cutting back an acer as they only need minimal pruning - I've got an acer flamingo and  I'm sure if I hard pruned it , it would be no more !

21/07/2012 at 21:45

I agree with Jean - Japanese acers do not tolerate cutting hard back, although salix do.

21/07/2012 at 22:30
It is an acer flamingo, I have read it can be cut back if you want itto be a shrub rather than a tree.
21/07/2012 at 22:44

Hang on, I'm getting my acers crossed. Yours isn't one of the small Japanese acers, is it, but a more normal small tree? In that case, you can theoretically cut back the trunk when it is young and thus cause it to produce lower branches and so turn into a shrub. Afraid I've never done this, so can't comment how well it'll work, sorry.

22/07/2012 at 17:55
Thanks for info, I will cut back in spring.
22/07/2012 at 20:44
Acer Flamingo is not like many acers. I certainly do cut mine back hard every spring in my Cornish garden. It is now some 7 feet tall and as much across and looks wonderful - pink, cream, etc. we're it not cut back it would become an untidy and less attractive tree. Do not be afraid to cut it back like this.
22/07/2012 at 20:48
Hello jean. I also grow the pink willow, the japanese one....won't use it's correct name. I lightly remove any dead wood in spring to healthy shoots. Currently it looks just like my Acer Flamingo colour wise. I grow agastache sangria and deschampsia with it and both are flowering well to complement the willow
email image
9 messages