London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
13 messages
12/06/2014 at 09:11

For the first time ever I have taken plant cuttings. Following a video on You Tube I have taken cuttings from existing established fuchsias & potted them on.

Hopefully the plants will have taken root by the end of the summer. My question is this; What should I do with them then? Overwinter in same pots? Transfer to bigger pots & overwinter? Or put them in the borders at end of summer? Any advice would be appreciated.

12/06/2014 at 11:21

What sort of fuchsia are they? Are they hardy or tender. Hardy fuchsia's can be overwintered in situ and tender should be kept frost free, greenhouse or something similar. Generally fuchsia's are so easy to root (they can root within 7 days) that keeping them isn't difficult. Only severe or prolonged cold spells will kill them, even then if are established they come through it.

Lyn
12/06/2014 at 14:42

Easiest way is to put cuttings in water on the window sill, not now though, but about September when its cooler. They root very quickly, trouble with potting them up first, if they dont take, you have wasted time and soil for nothing.

12/06/2014 at 19:22
Lyn wrote (see)

Easiest way is to put cuttings in water on the window sill, not now though, but about September when its cooler. They root very quickly, trouble with potting them up first, if they dont take, you have wasted time and soil for nothing.

I agree with Lyn, I tried for years with the 'potting them up' way and failed everytime, an old family friend suggested the water on windowsill route and it worked a charm, I have 3 plants in the garden ready to flower that were attached to another plant last year!

12/06/2014 at 21:00

I agree that fuchsias are one of the easiest of plants to propagate.  As I have said before on this subject.  Practically any part of the plant can be used.  Cuttings can be taken and then split down, thus making two cuttings.  Should you wish to try your hand at producing standards etc.  Tip cuttings having three leaves will do the trick.  The windowsill and a jar of water certainly works, but if you are seeking vast numbers, then.  Try cuttings inserted into moist sharp sand.  When well rooted, transfer to small pots.  I mainly use 9cm pots.  This will allow plenty of growth, and at the same time give you breathing space. Continue to grow them on.  If winter catches up, then keep the moist but not soaking.  Even in an unheated greenhouse, the pots can be gently covered with newspaper at night.  I learned that trick from 'Margaret'.  Research Fuchsia Margaret.  The fuchsia had been named after her by her father, who introduced it.  The greenhouse was a monster, yet rather strange.  Picture the gable roof of a very large greenhouse.  No sides or full height ends.  The roof straddled a deep trench dug lengthwise from end to end.  Once in the trench, the ground level each side formed the staging.  OOOps.  Sorry, there I go again.

13/06/2014 at 11:43

Thank you all for replying much appreciated. I think I've slipped up anyway I planted 13 cuttings in 8cm pots. Within 1 hour they had all wilted. Just didn't know about putting them in water instead of compost. Will try water method around September. 

Lyn
13/06/2014 at 12:00

Perfect Billy, I dont suppose you want to do hundreds, so 3/4 in a little pot of water, I use pots that vitamins come out from, but anywill do, strip of the bottom leaves so they are not in the water. I do about 200 . Just love them, had to buy some this year though as some last year succumbed to fuchsia rust.

Me buying a plant is never heard of but they were only a pound each!

13/06/2014 at 13:06

hi all tried to take cuttings last year from my hardy fuchsias, I took six and put them in compost I got 4 to take. after reading this here I have just took some more cuttings and put in some water.

1 do I change the water daily

2 how long before I see any roots

thank you all

13/06/2014 at 13:54

All my fuchsias where potted on from last year, living in Scotland i was worried

i would loose the lot i kept a thermostatic controlled fan heater set on number 3

quite low once a week i misted the base just to keep them damp then as spring approached i re potted them gave a good feed (my usual seaweed fertilizer) then fed them once a week, now they are fantastic. never lost one  

13/06/2014 at 20:39

A Tip or two.

Any plant that shows damaged or possible infected leaves.  Remove the bad leaves and burn.  Regarding Fuchsias.  Fuchsia Rust is usually caused by overcrowded growing conditions, damp atmosphere and poor ventilation.  Check your location for Willowherb.  This can be a carrier most times.  Spray your fuchsias with MANCOZEB.  Don't use any other fungicide.  Any damage to stems etc.  Cut back to strong healthy growth.

15/06/2014 at 10:02

can I ask please

1 do I change the water daily

2 how long before I see any roots

thank you all

Lyn
16/06/2014 at 10:14

I don't change the water, they root in 1 to 2 weeks,you can clearly see lots of roots, then its time to carefully pot up,  but its best to do it later in the year.

16/06/2014 at 11:44

thank you lyn

email image
13 messages