Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Advice needed

shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

hello, I was given 2 of these as a Xmas present and they have now finished flowering. My question is what do I do with the bulbs as the packaging does not give any info ??

thanks 

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697
    You can plant them in the garden so that you can enjoy the flowers next spring.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 811
    I'd nurture them until the summer. Put the pot out doors in a sheltered spot for now. Keep watered but not soaking. Feed with tomato fertiliser every couple of weeks. The leaves will yellow and die back in the summer. When that happens empty the pot trim off leaves and roots. Wrap in paper and keep somewhere cool until Autumn.

You can plant them in the garden, I have several patches, but I prefer to pot them up for early scent and colour in the house. They don't have the full packed flower heads they had originally but I prefer that.
  • shazza3shazza3 Posts: 106

thanks for your replies but they didn't come in a pot with compost but glass vases and I had to place them just above the level of water and that's how they've been growing since.

The flowers have now died and because they've got such long roots I wasn't sure if I should put them in compost or not ??

Surely if I put them outside the frost will kill them ???

Should I pot them up and keep indoors until the threat of frost or even snow has passed ??

thanks again 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

They are normally hardy. I would pot them up and put them in a sheltered place outside, then plant them in the garden in autumn. I leave mine in their pots by the kitchen wall outside.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.