London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
3 messages
31/03/2014 at 14:48

In have been bursting with excitement about what to plant in my summer window box this year, which I usually put in position in May.  

I had planned to include lavender, trailing begonias and geraniums, and happened to stumble across all three yesterday when in the Garden Centre, so it was too tempting to resist until May.

I am now concerned I have acted too hastily by planting out even though it is fairly mild where I live in Kent.  Are tghey likely to be ok if I don't overfeed them and cover them in a horticultural fleece protective bag?

31/03/2014 at 18:31

It's a nice combination but Lavendar is a hardy shrub whilst your Begonias and Geraniums (I take  i t you mean the Pelargoniums perhaps ?) are not hardy.  Best not  planted in the same windowbox .  If you want a permanent windowbox........plant your lavendars separately ( although you will need to attend to them after a couple of years ).  Otherwise you are making a lot of work for yourself.  Keep your annuals, tender plants in one box......that way, at the end of the summer, you can put them undercover and hopefully save them for the following year

01/04/2014 at 10:24

Thanks Philippa

email image
3 messages