Start a new thread

1 to 13 of 13 replies

Hi all

We would like a plant for our bathroom windowsill and have a small container (tiny french bucket) that we would like to plant it in. Can anyone recommend something fairly small, container is only about 6" x 6" so the plant would need to not grow much, it would need to put up with only a small amount of light and obviously condensation and heat that come with bathroom.

any suggestions peeps please? 

artjak

I had a small, simple, white begonia on the kitchen window sill all summer; it is now in the greenhouse but it would do for a bathroom I would think.

Jess is in the Garden

Another vote for maidenhair fern - without almost constant humidity, the leaves curl up and dry out, so your bathroom would be ideal, as Dove says.

Advertisement

fidgetbones

Moth orchids seem to like it steamy from the shower. I had a cheap £4 one from Lidl for ages in a corner of the bathroom.

EllieL

I'd never thought of having a plant it my bathroom (duh!) but I love the look of that fern.

Rather than a bathroom what about a kitchen plant ?

In the summer I put some herds from the greenhouse on the window sill

BobTheGardener

I find cyclamen persicum do ok on my bathroom windowsill.

Highland Jeannie

Thank you - now I know why our maidenhair fern has a lot of crinkly leaves!  It's in a (north-facing) sun lounge & drinks huge amounts of water, but for the last few weeks has been particularly sad looking. Perhaps a water spray would help?

I keep a spider plant in the bathroom but it's not very steamy there; it was either put it there or in the bin as I'm not really bothered about them but wouldn't bin a live plant!

Dovefromabove

Maidenhair ferns and spider plants often do well with their pots grouped together - maybe they'd both be happy in the bathroom - perhaps with a peace lily as well 

Highland Jeannie
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

Maidenhair ferns and spider plants often do well with their pots grouped together - maybe they'd both be happy in the bathroom - perhaps with a peace lily as well 

I like Orchids in the bathroom they last forever.