London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
9 messages
13/04/2013 at 09:54
I'm having my front drive block paved with raised planters to the rear edges, although the infill will be predominantly gravelled, I'd like to break up the starkness with some cordylines and other similar plants. I'm a complete novice when it comes to plants, so im enquiring about some low shrubby / hardy plants that will last through all weathers and only require occasional trimming and not drop leaves in the gravel or on my drive? I like the manicured neatly trimmed look and wouldn't mind the occasional trimming of a plant to maintain the shape, but not conifers!! Thanks in advance, fabio...
13/04/2013 at 15:09
I look after raised beds for a nursing home, some of the shrubs are hydrangeas, azalea, pieris, and a few others which I can't remember off hand, we do have a California lilac and fatsia japonica but they may be too big.......whatever, all these shrubs are pretty low maintenance, we have some blue bells and narcissus planted in there. And just to add a little colour in the summer I put quite a few annual begonias in, they look very nice and once again low maintenance, just a little water when they need it. Hope this is of some help, good idea to look at the labels on shrubs to see how high they grow. Each spring with most of the shrubs I care for I give a prune, I read up on them all to make sure I looked after them properly. I also give a general feed (slow release in the spring and an eracious feed on any acid loving shrubs in the spring). This may sound a lot but believe me it isn't.
13/04/2013 at 15:15
Not sure if all that is for you fabio, but I hope it may give you a few ideas.
13/04/2013 at 15:17

..you might like something like this, it's Hebe 'Red Edge', and would be available in most good garden centres, probably about £7-8 .... it's proved very hardy for me, takes no notice of the severe winters and does not shed leaves or need little trimming.   The leaf colour intensifies in cold weather and has little mauve flowers in summer... it gradually spreads into a nice bushy plant like this, after 2 years or so...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22003.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

13/04/2013 at 15:33

Hebes are a good suggestion as there are loads to choose from. What aspect is your garden Fabio as that will make a difference too?

13/04/2013 at 20:57

If you are looking for a nice manicured look - I think you cant beat good old box......  Buxus Sempervirens "gold tip" would be my choice.  Phormium would look striking as a centre plant - you can find lots of varieties with red striped leaves which would make a nice contrast with the green and gold varieagated edge.  If it were my garden I would put loads of tall bulbs either side of the phormium - just to add a bit of colour. 

14/04/2013 at 08:11

Rosemary is an excellent low maintenance shrub - it's drought tolerant and evergreen, and can be pruned into a manicured look or left to its own devices. As a positive side effect, it sometimes flowers, and you can use it in cooking!

14/04/2013 at 08:41

I like all the above ideas. I would keep the planting to one plant type only. It will make a statement and look good and be low maintenance. The raised bed sounds well draining so a large bed of English Lavender would look and smell wonderfull, esp in summer.

14/04/2013 at 17:53
Thanks guys, all very helpfull!

I'll be googling images all night now to find out what you're talking about haha!!

Once things are under way I'll post some pics for your perusal

Thank again

Fab
email image
9 messages