Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Aftercare of geums

Would appreciate any advice you could give me on the aftercare of geums. Had very few flowers this year and would like to improve the performance for next year. Thanks

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I would also like some advice as mine never flowered.

• mdw84mdw84 Posts: 105

As they are a member of the rose family and my roses haven't performed fantastically I would suggest the weather.

Also there is the grizzled skipper (butterfly) that could havehad something to do with it

• i also had not one flower on mine.. so must be weather.

• Thanks, point taken re weather, but didn't have much of a show last year either.
  • LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Which Geums are we talking about? My Mrs J Bradshaw and Totally Tangerine (I don't know the grown up name I'm afraid image) flowered for ages this year, Mrs Bradshaw is still going now although I'm hoping she'll set seeds.

I have two un-named much smaller Geums with little orange flowers on that haven't done at all well this year though.

• Orange flowers, but not sure of variety. I have just spotted a GW blog which said to split them in spring. That will give me the opportunity to see if it is the location.
  • LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

It could be Pennine, I've just had a look around the internet but there doesn't seem to be much information about them online.

You could ask here http://www.geumcollection.co.uk/index.html by using this query form http://www.geumcollection.co.uk/feedback.html

I'm a big fan of geums too and think they are a much over looked little plant.

My sister in law keeps pulling them up as weeds, when she has done nothing about the dreaded himalyan balsam creeping in to the bottom of her garden. image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

There is one which is a dreadful weed, Geum urbanum. I would say that all ours have flowered their little cotton socks off. G. Blazing Sunset has been magnificent all Summer. Keep cutting it down and it throws up more flowering stems.

The Geum rivularis types do better in a more shady position or in damper soil if in sun.

Not got Totally Tangerine......yet. Refuse to pay £9.99 for it or even lass willing to pay £12.99 for it which is what I saw it priced at in a Wyevale.

Had a little count up only got 28 of them.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I have grown mine from seed, sown in 2011, so I do not know the variety. I will try  moving them into the shade.

Thanks

• Thanks all, I think I will move mine too. It's a good sized plant, so I can try a few different locations.