London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
11 messages
24/10/2013 at 19:21

Can you please explain why my Agapanthus didn't flower this year, in fact it has hardly grown.  I kept it in the greenhouse last winter covered in fleece, as my greenhouse is unheated, and then bought it out onto the patio for the summer.

24/10/2013 at 19:41

The only way I got mine to flower was to feed it with a tomato feed. There are several varieties of Agapanthus and perhaps some perform better than others. I do know they like to be root bound. Good luck with yours 

24/10/2013 at 19:47

I have some in a large pot outside and a low growing one in a flower border - all in full sun and they have all flowered this year.  They are native to South Africa and I think they need maximum sunshine over here to do well.  I did feed them with comfrey fertiliser, but I'm pretty certain is the sunshine they need.

Hope you have more luck next year.

25/10/2013 at 09:43

You don't say how old it is or whether you have moved or re-potted it recently.  I have found that agapanthus usually sulk for a year or two if you disturb the roots or if its a partularly young plant.  Living in Cornwall I tend not to bring them in over winter.  The foliage does die back but the flowers were fab this summer.

25/10/2013 at 10:10
SFord wrote (see)

You don't say how old it is or whether you have moved or re-potted it recently.  I have found that agapanthus usually sulk for a year or two if you disturb the roots or if its a partularly young plant.  Living in Cornwall I tend not to bring them in over winter.  The foliage does die back but the flowers were fab this summer.

Agree with this. If you have young Agapanthus then they put down roots first then top growth afterwards.

25/10/2013 at 10:11

Daydaisy is correct in saying that agapanthus are happiest when root growth is restricted. If repotting is necessary only increase pot size by next size up and yes give the usual regular feeding of comfrey or tomato fertilisers. I can not explain this theory of root restriction if growing in open soil.

25/10/2013 at 10:53

Hi Mallingopal,Are they too congested? Mine stopped flowering so split them up and repotted them last year after they had died back. I dont put them under cover and they had to endure a bit frost, but they all flowered all this summer. I keep them fairly rootbound and feed them and put mulch on top (usually horse manure, as I put that on almost everything with no adverse effects!) These plants are about 10 yrs old so as the others have said before, it may be that yours are still young, or did they come into flower in the past?

25/10/2013 at 16:01

HELP! I've bought a 'peter pan' agapanthus to plant in the soil. How does one restrict the roots??

25/10/2013 at 17:15

I bought one last year and brought inside the conservatory (its not heated) and that didn't flower this year either.  I also bought another one this year, but the leaves look different.  Thats in a pot too. How do you know which type can stay in the garden and which ones can't

29/10/2013 at 15:20

fluffy cloud - if you plant it in a good sized plastic pot with the bottom removed that could help.  Personally I haven't bothered, but I think they like being fed in the spring. With regard to frost-hardiness you need to check online.

30/10/2013 at 10:14

Thanks gardenning granny. I'm leaving it in the greenhouse for now and plant it out in the spring.

email image
11 messages