Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Agapanthus

CLERCLER Posts: 56

Anyone help me ????

Do you think it would be wise to split my Agapanthus that has been growing in a terracotta pot for about 4 years and has good leaf growth but has never flowered for me ?

Many thanks

• Leave it in the pot it needs to get route bound to flower
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 811
    It tip it out, not easy, and see if the roots completely fill the pot, that might help someone advise you. I would think about potting it into a larger pot rather than split it. Mine had flowered and two years ago were poor I repotted them and had a good show last year, I think they were hungry.
  • It is a myth that they need to be root bound to flower - it is just a coincidence that that they are mature enough to flower and be well rooted. Root bound also makes them slightly more hardy as water freely drains as it has no where to pool.

As Bilja has said feed them a tomato feed.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I think I'm going to have to smash some large rounded pots which have some of my agapanthus. Should have put them into a regular plastic pot then dropped into ceramic one, but hey ho.

One of my pots is so potbound the water doesn't drain away at all. So after rain, I have to leave the pot on its side to drain.

I plan to split about 1/3 of mine, then the same next year, then the smaller ones should need splitting the following year.

Devon.
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 811
    Hi Hosta I made the mistake years ago of using a narrower necked pots. One had to be smashed???? but my under gardener rescued the other pots by literally cutting out the agapanthus with a kitchen knife, not a pretty sight! But the plants did recover very quickly. Mine are very vigorous but not particularly hardy evergreen ones. I initially made the mistake of planting them in a border arghh the formed a root mass like concrete and partly rotted in a bad winter...with gardening you learn by your mistakes.

I reckon I can rescue 2 of the pots, but the other might have to be sacrificed. OH has promised his hard labour on Mon and Tues ( his days off ) 

Funnily enough, I've started to cut one of them with my trusty " hosta splitting bread knife" so great minds and all that eh?

At least they're all in the polytunnel, so out of any bad weather.

Devon.
  • Agapanthus need to be really crowded and fed a starvationb diet to get them flowering. Also, if your plants were young when you planted them they will not flower until they are ready. I would wait another couple of years with no feeding. then divide the clump but plant each clump in a smaller pot so they are really pot bound. They need a hot baking in the summer as well.

I'm sorry to disagree with you Joyce, but I agree with Blairs. They really don't need to be potbound, otherwise, why would they flower when planted i the ground?

Another common cause of lacking flowers is to let them dry out in the late summer / autumn. They need to be well watered at this time to encourage the formation of flower buds for the following year.

Devon.