London (change)
Today 11°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
20 messages
13/07/2014 at 10:33

I bought three of these last September and they carried on flowering for weeks.  I was looking forward to enjoying them again this year, but by the first week of June they were not showing any signs of life, so I dug them up and replaced them with purple salvias (not nearly as exciting).  I would like some more ABA's for their form, colour and bee friendliness, but I don't want to risk losing them again.  Any advice would be welcome!

13/07/2014 at 10:47

They were hardy for me this winter, but I know they can sometimes be a bit iffy.  They are dead easy to strike from cuttings (they are one of the few plants i have success with) and these can be overwintered in a cool GH.  Or maybe keep them in pots plunged in the border so you can bring them in?  They are beautiful plants, so worth the effort I think

13/07/2014 at 11:00

Thanks chicky!  When is the best time to take cuttings?

13/07/2014 at 11:12

I'd do it about now, but think you can leave it til end of august.

13/07/2014 at 21:23

I grow these and they always come through winter. The problem is their young tiny shoots as super tasty to the slugs! I keep mine in pots until they are nice and big and slug proof.

13/07/2014 at 21:42

Hadn't thought of slug damage MM.  Perhaps mine didn't die - just got eaten!  What time of the year do the shoots normally begin to appear?  Do you have them in pots all year round, or do you plant them out for the summer months and then repot them in autumn and overwinter them in a cool greenhouse?

13/07/2014 at 22:20

I take cuttings as early as possible.  they don't like being divided and are slow to make growth early.  Bit tricky.  

I grow black adder, sunset, Summer sky, raspberry summer, kolibri, blue boa, summer glow, summer love, summer fiesta, heatwave and tangerine dreams. Love em all. All upright and some are tall

They are difficult to overwinter...dig them up to overwinter in the GH and they are likely to die.  They hate winter wet.  Not easy. Still learning how to understand them

14/07/2014 at 09:29

Hi Cottontail.

I live in the south west, so I think I may have it easier here. I pot mine up for winter and then put them back in the ground in summer (when they are big and slug proof)  Not sure when their growth started showing through, I just left them in their pots to get on with it. But as Verdun says, they are very slow, I wouldn't put them inside a greenhouse, but it doesn't get that cold here.

I have never lost one to winter, but have lost quite a few to the rasping tongues of a slug or snails.

14/07/2014 at 10:00

Now I'm confused   Verdun says they are likely to die if potted up for the winter, and Meerkat says the opposite.  But it could depend on where you live.  I'm in North Yorkshire and the Agastaches were in clay soil which remained wet and shaded for a large part of the winter. 

14/07/2014 at 10:02

Btw Verdun, am very impressed with the number of different varieties you grow!  Any pics of your favourites?

14/07/2014 at 11:32

Bit of context here.  I grow the hybrid and often new varieties that have the less,hardy gene in them.  There are some like blue fortune and some downright "seedy" amd these will be easy to propagate.  

Black Adder does survive for me if left intact.  I have plants that have taken from cuttimgs and from basal tears....blue boa is easy for me.  I have deliberately avoided those that seed. 

I have never succeeded in dividing agastaches.  They resent root disturbance and like to get roots down deep. The hotter the better for agastaches but still need a good drink every week or so.

Hapycottontail I have posted pics but waiting for little more growth. (to show off ) first.  In a recent picture I had black adder, summer sky amd raspberry summer but perhaps it was bit hazy.  I have one called heatwave which is "delicious" but it is, so far, quite short.  Expected it to be taller so it is a little obscured .....next year it will be front of border.  However, I will include it in pics. 

For me....here in the very mild south west of cormwall.....agastaches are at their peak approaching mid July onwards.  

Only been growing agastaches for 4 years or so therefore still learning about them.  

14/07/2014 at 13:50

I've lost two BA agastaches the winter I planted them as bare roots. The second was in one of my best drained borders and definitely didn't come up and get eaten.

I've grown 5 from a mixed seed pack this year and will try the digging up approach this winter if I like them...

Surprised how much root they put on - I planted a small weedy looking one out this morning as it has flowers emerging and the roots were starting to get tight in a 1 litre pot...

14/07/2014 at 17:50

Sorry to confuse you. Maybe they don't like clay soil, maybe yours got too wet? I have very very dry sandy soil. (might as well be sand). I have left them before in the ground and they started to re shoot, but I watched the slugs destroy them (I don't use pellets.) So to save them I pot them up when they start showing signs of life in spring. Sorry just realised I said I pot them over winter, was a bit misleading.  

How about try leaving one in the ground and one in a pot, but leave it outside.

14/07/2014 at 18:09

For me roots or tops are not eaten by slugs etc.

Roots will rot in wet or damp cold soil.  Paradoxically, although liking dry hot conditions agastaches still need a decent dose of water now and then

Victoria, agastaches do NOT like  being dug up.  From seed they won't be black adder...it's sterile variety

Never plant them out in autumn or winter.  A guarantee of plants next year is to grow on in pots and then over winter them.  If you buy now pot on, water now and then and hold back until mid spring before planting out

14/07/2014 at 18:30

I thought I'd risk digging them up as they will die anyway- but you're right of course, Verdun.

Also it'll be a right faff storing them so I'll leave them in the ground and they can sort themselves out.

I didn't know Black Adder was sterile but I knew my seeds were a mixed bag...eventually. I naively thought 'Fragrant Delight' was a variety until I looked it up 

14/07/2014 at 18:49

Then try a bell cloche with full ventilation over them in cold or wet times in winter. Saw some cheap plastic ones ther day in one of those pound shops

14/07/2014 at 19:06

I know the sort- worth a try

14/07/2014 at 20:14

I wish the tops weren't eaten by slugs like you Verdun. Why do you say they do NOT like being dug up? I have done it many times and they are fine? maybe I have been lucky and yes although mine are in sandy soil, they do still need water, I just meant mine seem to like the free draining soil.

14/07/2014 at 21:05

Hiya  magical meerkat,  what varieties do you dig up?  Never managed it, with the exception of blue boa.  Im talking about the new hybrids here.

16/07/2014 at 09:13

I have 2 Black Adders and an Anise Hyssop which have been dug up and popped back in the ground again. The Anise has self seeded in my patio, but never grows much over 1 inch, before my super snails munch them to nothing.

email image
20 messages