Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Agastache Black Adder

Is it quite common for the leaves at the bottom of the stems to turn yellow?  I have two of these beautiful perennials, but only one is affected.  Though I think I have treated them both the same.  Should I have fed them regularly with Tomorite? 

• Thanks Verdun.  They are in clay soil and get sun from first thing till about 3pm.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

Clay soil here too and my agastache rarely survive the winter - I take cuttings.
    So I've got 1.5 cu metres rotted farmyard manure arriving in a couple of weeks to help break it up. Not ideal initially for the agastache but will do the rest a power of good and help break the clay.
    If my back feels up to it I may get a load of grit to dig in too.

I've lost a couple this year which just curled-up and shrivelled overnight - very strange and I do have a few yellow leaves too on others - in full sun, but heavy clay that's not seen rain in many weeks, so it must be like concrete

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

My seeds are all up Verdun, Agastache Apache sunset and Foeniculum, only sowed on the 27th July, will they be happy in my acid soil?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Verdun, thank you, but it hardly stops raining  here, never have to water the garden, the rain clouds just settle over the Moor, not much hope then!

i am trying to completely do the garden over with new plants now, best think again maybe, Although, being on a hill it is well drained,

they are amazingly easy from seeds, all germinated and in such a short time. I have bought a few grasses, that one you have, Cali....something for one, I do hope they grow here.

That's the one Verdun, I got the Brachytricha seeds.

moisture I have! so will look for that one.