Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ailsa Craig and free strawberries

PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

It is a glorious day here in the North East and green house wide open. Spent time side shooting the Ailsa Craig tomato's, the ones I was brought up with as a lad and far superior in taste to Money maker or Shirley I do have others as I love a yellow and  the cherries, the Ailsa are picked once ripe and few reach the kitchen.

I potted the runners on the Strawberries a lot of them so doubled my plants for next year if they all come, they are in a John Innes number two compost they need some drainage. It was nice working out in the sun making new plants giving others TLC I never thought I would say this but I am turning into my old Dad, he was a gardener from the old world and I still think he was right all along.

Happy Gardening Frank.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

sounds like you had a good day,its pouring with rain here in the west.Everytime  I put my head out the  door.image

• ImpHostaImpHosta Posts: 56

Every day that passes I become more like my Grandad (sadly now departed).

It's raining and I think "That'll be good for the garden".

Kids playing football in the garden...  "Be careful of the flowers!!!!"

Dog running amock through my veg patch - dog 'gently persuaded' to leave!

Buying a decent nail brush to get the compost out from under my nails.

Overall finding please in getting muddy fingers and pottering about in my greenhouse.

I only wish he was still about to share his passion and knowledge with me and to take pride in what I've achieved in my garden through being inspired by him as a child.

Bit of an emotional post there, Palaisglide, off on a bit of a tangent from your original post but thanks for taking me on that journey!!

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

ImpHosta, be my guest. As I wrote I was thinking back to a walled garden and smallholding from which my Father fed us and the extended family, a gentle hard working man who spent every spare minute in the garden doing everything the old fashioned way.. "It was how I was taught son, it works, why change it" and there was me thinking up better ways, now I do it his way.

As I filled pots with compost with my hands, placed the strawberry runners and pinned them down, tamped the compost and watered them in, the birds were singing a huge brown tail Bumble bee was hovering and sitting on the fence the first house sparrow I have seen this year, a cheeky little thing chirping his head off at my garden blackbird who thinks he owns the place. Peace on earth indeed among the news stories of war and hate we find our own Eden, there you have got me at it now. I may have to restart my Poetry thread again.

Frank.