London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
20 messages
16/07/2014 at 22:20

Greetings, fellow plant enthusiasts! I wonder if anyone can help:

I have a young Albizia tree. Last year it was a seedling, and grew to around 8". This year, after re-potting, it is already a foot-and-a-half tall. My puzzle is this:

It has produced some wonderfully-spaced branches of its normal leaves, but out of the axils of these branches, have sprouted smaller branches, bearing long, single, flat, striated spear-shaped leaves. 

The plant is healthy, thriving and in very good condition. I have tried researching this anomaly in its leaf production, but can find nothing to indicate why this is happening, whether it's normal or something I should be addressing...

I'm sure someone can shed some light on this, here!

17/07/2014 at 10:52

Do Albizia have different leaves on adult vs young growth like a Eucalyptus does?

17/07/2014 at 11:50

No, I have seen many Albizias, small ànd tall, but I have never seen this or heard it mention. Could it be some kind of fasciation (from Webster's Dictionary: a malformation of plant stems commonly manifested as enlargement and flattening as if several stems were fused)??

Is it possible to post a picture of the leaves, TaraMaiden?

17/07/2014 at 12:39

I knew someone would ask me that. You have no idea how much i have been wrestling with my phone and associated online programs I SHOULD be able to download, but can't because this (loaned and slightly out-of-date) laptop has insufficient memory to deal with an updated driver! 

I will add that, nearing the top of the plant, some of these flattened broad 'leaves' are now becoming narrower, and sprouting the proper shaped leaves from their edges.... so it looks like some kind of developmental problem in the stems/leaves.... but as stated, the plant looks wonderful!

Hang on... I think I've worked a way round it.... BRB....

Edd
17/07/2014 at 12:50

Hi. You seem to know what you are on about TaraMaiden so i hope this does not sound patronising as its not meant to.

Has it flowered?

and are these new growth the start of seed pod?

17/07/2014 at 12:58

Not patronising at all. The plant is as yet too young to flower - I think I can expect flowers in a year or so. So, no, they're not the flattened seed pods. interestingly, whenever I tried to research the porblem, the only thing that would come up when I used the word 'flat' - was indeed, reference to the seed pods! 

Thanks anyway! 

17/07/2014 at 13:02

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52822.jpg?width=653&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52823.jpg?width=653&height=350&mode=max

17/07/2014 at 13:03

It would be an honour to own a botanical freak!!  

18/07/2014 at 09:16

Wow, TaraMaiden, that indeed looks like fasciation in your Albizia. So, you're now unofficially owner of a botanical freak  It does look weird, doesn't it?  I've just checked my own tree, but nah, everything normal there. 

Would you object to me copying the picture and posting it on a couple of Dutch forums to ask if any of the knowledgeable nursery men/women there have ever seen this before in Albizia julibrissin ?

18/07/2014 at 09:31
18/07/2014 at 09:34
Not at all! More importantly, is there anything I should do about it? Should I leave them alone, or cut them off at the axil joint? Anyone know?
21/07/2014 at 22:01

Any opinions on removing them or leaving them in situ....? 

Anyone....? 

21/07/2014 at 23:02

Bumping here.... 

30/07/2014 at 00:21

I'm out of luck then....?

30/07/2014 at 12:01

TM, didn't you get my mail?

30/07/2014 at 12:48

I received the one dated 28th, about no luck, folks on holiday... I did reply.... Have you sent one since?? 

30/07/2014 at 19:19

Sorry TM, I thought I did send you one back, but apparently I didn't press the send button  Must be an early senior moment.

But be assured that it doesn't harm the tree at all, only if you think it's ugly, or if you want normal looking leaves, then you'll need to remove everything abnormal to a normal looking shoot. If it's a whole branch with leaves looking like that, take it out completely. And Summer is a good time to do it. Wounds heal quicker now.

Hope that's what you wanted to know. And I will report back if I receive a reaction on the other forums.

31/07/2014 at 12:39

To be honest, I'm torn... the thing looks so pretty, with "two different kinds of leaves" on one plant - what a novelty! I think I may just leave them, '(leave' them, Hah! geddit??  Oh, never mind...   ) and see what happens, over winter/come flowering time.... Should happen either next year or the year after..... Thank you so much for your interest and help, Flowerchild! Really kind of you!

04/08/2014 at 10:00

Hehehe TM, yep I geddit!   It remains a 'fascinating' subject, doesn't it ((geddit too? ) Is this when you write "no pun intended"???))

You're  welcome, I loved to help you TM. I'm curious though, whatever dìd happen at the RHS? Sorry if I'm too nosey, just say so if you think I am...

04/08/2014 at 12:23

No, not at all. In the interests of diplomacy I will send you a PM! 

email image
20 messages