London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
7 messages
20/04/2012 at 22:53

Hi,

My allims are growing but the leaves are going brown at the tips. Am I doing something wrong?

21/04/2012 at 07:38

This is happening to mine too. Any suggestions why?

21/04/2012 at 08:59

Anyone?.....Where is Monty when you need him! 

21/04/2012 at 09:06

Hi All,

Mine do this too. Apparently its very normal. They need so much energy to push up that magnificant flower that the leaves start to suffer as all food / power is sent to flower. I now under plant to cover the leaves - I have used, forget me nots, hostas look good (if early) - and emerging perennials like astrantia.

When they get very tatty - I cut the ends of the leaves off - doesnt seem to do them any harm and show very well the next year too

21/04/2012 at 09:07

Alliums, I am assuming you mean the globe flowered alliums, like sunny and dry. The soil might be too heavy. Allium leaves do die back but only when the plant is flowering, mid summer-ish. I can't tell you more sorry.

I just did a very quick google search and found http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/onion-pests-and-diseases.html which looks very useful for reference.

21/04/2012 at 09:37
That is very helpful thank you both. I clearly dont need to worry. Sounds like disguise is the key, or cutting the leaves off.
21/04/2012 at 12:42

It is all to do with where these Alliums come from. They are natives of cold windy stppes. So, the leaves appear as soon as any snow cover is gone and they grow rapidly to take advantage of the short Spring/Summer weather. then as the temperatures drop, the flower spike appears and as the leaves have done their job they begin to take food back into the bulb. In fact very often the flowering stem is very loosely attached to the bulb. When the seeds are ripe the wind blows the loose stem acros the land to scatter the seeds. Very clever really.

email image
7 messages