London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
6 messages
19/10/2012 at 11:21

I have a large Alstroemeria in a pot, I understand they are not fully hardy in cold climates.  If I move the pot to an unheated greenhouse or shed overwinter will this be enough to keep it ?  Also if the plant survives, when is the best time to split it ?

19/10/2012 at 11:24

Yes, it should be OK provided we don't have very severe frosts. Keep it only lightly watered, too.

Splitting - I would be inclined to do this in spring.

19/10/2012 at 11:33

I have had alstroemerias growing in the borders for the past few years-and have survived bad winters-before that they were in a container and were quite happy in an unheated greenhouse over winter-my feeling is despite their exotic look they are a lot hardier than we think

As Alina says split in the spring

19/10/2012 at 15:43

Thank you both for the good advice - off to the greenhouse/shed with it then, soon, and fingers crossed

19/10/2012 at 23:01

I have a number of alstromerias and have left some in the ground for the last 4 winters, its been down to -10 for the last few winters here, i just put a heavy mulch of manure over them to protect them, the ones i have in pots i just move under a large tree and allow them to die back and pile the old growth on top of the pot to give it some protection. ( the soil here is very free draining, if you have a heavy damp soil they may not survive so well)

20/10/2012 at 12:37

Thank you Bournemouthgardener, another few handy tips for Alstroemeria survival

email image
6 messages