Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Alstroemeria 'picking'

Hi,

I have bed of dwarf Alstroemeria.

This is my third summer at this house and I have never picked them! I have done it today and have some wonderful flowers, I was wondering how often others pick flowers from their Alstroemeria? Is it something to do every X amount of weeks?

Also, I think I'm going to have replant the bed year because I have a VERY invasive montbretia which I have managed to slow but really I need to pull these up to completely eradicate it. Has any one got any tips on this? I have looked it up on the web but I'm just a bit scared I'm going to break the tubers! or when to do it? 

Any one willing to share a success (or fail) story would be great!

Kerri

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

You can pick Alstromeira as often as you want really - they're good, long lasting flowers in a vase.

Montbretia can be a pain to get rid of.  I've found weedkiller isn't very effective, even applied several times. You have to dig it out and those little corms are very tough - they can break off easily and each one will regrow. You just have to persevere   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

I have been trying for 30 year to get rid of montbretia - obviously not doing it right image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Ladybird4 says:

I have been trying for 30 year to get rid of montbretia - obviously not doing it right image

See original post

Nooo Ladybird, say it isn't so! 

I have Alstroemeria, Bearded Iris and these pesky montbretia in the one bed. Both the Alstro's and the iris's need dividing so I'm thinking I will just pull up anything that doesn't look like these which should be easy, right?! Although I will have to it at the right time for each plant so I will never completely be rid of it! The montbretia is in three other places in the back garden alone. This is my third summer at this house and if I would have cottoned on or been as interested in gardening when we first moved here maybe I could have controlled it some how!

Thanks for the other advice about how to pick the flowers from others. Even though I picked probably 10 'stalks' with flowers on (Gave some for the mother in law :) ) there was at least double - maybe triple that still left so I'm hoping I haven't overdone it!

Kerri

• Oh no, I wonder if something has got to yours? Mine are extremely thick despite not having the best start this year because of the montbretia! I'm in Suffolk and they sit in a very sheltered sunny spot in the garden. We have had very mild weather. Would you normally pick yours?