London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
7 messages
28/05/2013 at 17:48

ALSTROEMERIAS

Hello, I wonder if anyone knows the best way to get the  maximum flowers from these in a northern climate.  I have successfully overwintered one in a cold greenhouse, but was surprised to see on repotting on autumn, that the plant did not have conventional tubers, but more like fleshy roots

I have ordered some more from J.Parkers which are only about 15cm at the moment so am wondering whether to keep in pots or plant out.  The existing one flowered for over 5 months last year so am hoping for the same - any advice gratefully received !

Louise - Yorkshire Dales

28/05/2013 at 17:54

Evening sunnylou

Buyimg such small plants is not, for me, ideal.  Not much more expensive to buy good size plants that will flower in their first year.

However, best to grow on in pots....don't let them dry out too much. You're right, they are fleshy roots really. So outside in pots until reasonable size

28/05/2013 at 18:14

Hi sunnylou

I am growing these beautiful plants. I brought two quite large pots of these back from Holland in April, they are now in the garden and growing well. I have also got two pots with some Alstromerias in that I have had for a few years, and they flower their socks off every year and I even had flowers on Christmas day. I didn't put them in greenhouse for the winter (I am on the south coast), they stayed outside close to the house wall. As you are in Yorkshire, I think I would keep them in pots to bring in over winter. If you want them in your flower beds maybe you could plunge the pot into the ground then lift them to bring into the greenhouse in the winter. These are one of my favourite plants and I wouldn't mind if my garden was full of them, they are just so lovely and flower for such a long time. Good luck with yours. 

28/05/2013 at 18:32

I grow one of the "princess" types.  They are wonderful in flower...followering for almost 6 months.

However, they have one drawback....they become dormant after,floweriing thereby creating a bare bald spot ....like Prince William's head.....in the garden.  So best to,plant them behind plants that will grow up in front or around them....perhaps dahlias cannas,or shrubs like dogwood....to hide this gap.

28/05/2013 at 18:38

I have them outside all winter. Pots or ground depends of climate (how wet it is in winter) and soil drainage. I have mine in large pots with cherry trees, so the soil dries quickly and is free draining.

29/05/2013 at 16:33

Thank you everyone for your most informative replies - the reason I have not responded before is that I have not been able to accesss my posts, have now tried a very roundabout method suggestes by 'Marshmallow' which seems to work

29/05/2013 at 16:36

Bang goes your knighthood Verdi...

I had some at last house and we couldn't get rid of them! Not that I didn't like them but some were just in the wrong place (in a formal bed under front windows)and they 'travelled' under landscape fabric and out into the gravel terrace. If the conditions are right they flower forever. 

email image
7 messages