London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
12 messages
13/11/2013 at 13:03

At end August I bought a sad ALSTROMAREA for 50p. Re-potted and nursed so it is now a lovely big healthy plant.But it has a lot of flowers and more comming. It is in the coldframe facing east and quite sheltered. How do I care for it now?  Will it overwinter in coldframe, garage or should it come in to the house. I am in Staffordshire. Temp went down to -0.5% last in garden.   Any tips appreciated. Thank you, Maggie 

With apologies to the two who responded when I called it an aquelegia which are very hardy.

13/11/2013 at 13:04

There was a query a while back  http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/alstroemeria-overwintering/31182.html - hope that helps 

13/11/2013 at 14:28

Thanks Dove, very helpful. I now know what to do with it.  Mags

13/11/2013 at 17:23

I've got Alstroemeria in pots and they have been outside for the last 4 years, I don't put them in a cold frame or greenhouse and they have flowered every year, I even had flowers on Christmas Day. Mine are still flowering.

13/11/2013 at 18:13

Most years I didn't have any problems with Alstro's in pots.  I just left them where they stood all year, protected by the fence and the wall of the house.  The winter before last I lost the lot!

I would definitely move them to somewhere that they aren't likely to get waterlogged or frozen.  Much better than the possible alternative.

13/11/2013 at 18:18

For me alstromerias are very hardy and in flower for months.  It is mild here so maybe not the best to advise but.........

. Although they die down in winter they are susceptible to spring frosts.  Then they will be set back.  I would certainly overwinter in coldframe.  Leave it amd forget it until the spring.  Harden it off gradually then but get it back under cover if frost is forecast.  

Siting alstromerias is important.  They have a dormant period in late summer where they die down after flowering.  This leaves a big...according to size of alstromeria....gap in the border.  I have moved mine behind a miscamthus and dahlia, for example, so that the gap in the border is disguised. ( My alstromerias flowered from late April to mid August )

13/11/2013 at 18:32

Is it true they don't usually like being moved? I translocated ( technical term for "moved") from a friend's garden via a few months in pots over winter, then successfully planted out. Will leave now.

13/11/2013 at 19:55

Yes woody they don't like being moved esp if roots broken up too much.  I found if dug up with good rootball there was no problem.

13/11/2013 at 22:08

I live in the North West and had Alstromerias for many years until I got fed up with them.  Then they were somewhat difficult to get rid of.  I never did anything to overwinter them and they just came up again each year.  Maybe some are more hardy than others?

13/11/2013 at 23:16

Think you are right Angela.  Soil makes a difference.....heavy, wet n cold is bad news. A light free draining one in cold area will be ok

14/11/2013 at 11:23

Well that's certainly us Verdun.  Light sandy soil.

15/11/2013 at 12:52

Great information from you all.  I have heavy clay soil here so I will keep it in the pot instead of putting out as I planned to.  And Leave it in a sheltered place for the winter, moving it if it turns very cold.  Thank you all.  Mags

email image
12 messages