Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 22 replies

SilverFairy

Has anyone tried/succeeded in growing a chamomile/thyme/similar type lawn?

Any tips?

flowering rose

I tried but it failed,I think my clay soil did not help and i also tried to make chamomile seat but that didt work either.

Take a look at buntysblog.co.uk. She has made a video showing how it's done.

It looks like one big headache to me.

nutcutlet

There's not much other than grass that you can walk/play/sit on and still have a lawn.

Perhaps these other plantings shouldn't be called lawns. 

Fleurisa

Does anyone grow the 'micro clover', it was the new big thing a few years ago, don't hear anything about it anymore.

Advertisement

is that the one that got tinier and tinier until nobody could see it?

MrsGarden

Peat Ballan posted a thread called herbal lawns, he was starting a project the same as yours, you could have a look at that or message him to see how he got on.

nutcutlet
waterbutts wrote (see)

is that the one that got tinier and tinier until nobody could see it?

I think so, I came in late and missed it altogether

Sara 4

On a previous thread about herb lawns here, somebody sent me a link to a TV article - the first grass free park has opened in London.  If I've done it correctly, you should be able to watch it here ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22846419

nutcutlet

That's beautiful Sara, a work of art. Not what I'd call a lawn though. 

SilverFairy has never come back on this one.Don't know if she wants something lovely like this or something she can walk on.

nutcutlet

It makes it easier but if you highlight and alternate click you get 'go to http.....'

BobTheGardener

Depends on device & browser, nut.  Pressing enter makes them active in anything.

nutcutlet

I'm pretty ignorant on all this stuff Bob, I just fiddle around til something works for me. I was going to copy and paste when the other solution came up

Sara 4

I think you gave me the link in the first place Bob - I just cut and pasted.  A very helpful tip though I shall try and remember to press enter in future!

Advertisement

SilverFairy

Maybe I will try growing it between paving stones first! and we have a bench over some sleepers that have started to rot so lots of gaps I can put earth into. Would this be successful?

Thanks for all the answers folks

SilverFairy

If I do that would you suggest seeds or plugs?

MrsGarden

Sounds a very good idea, which plants were you going for, was it camomile or a variety of different ones?  

Sara 4

Vis the holes in the sleepers, I find the little sedums work really easily if you aren't going to be walking all over them.