Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Am I allowed to be disappointed?

turmericturmeric Posts: 830

...if I just found some time to sow my free sweet pea seeds and they're rubbish?  I'm referring to the free seeds that came with the magazine this month.  I opened my packet, only to find a few 'split peas' in the packet, with a few bits of casing.  Every seed had come out of its casing and actually split into two little halves.  So no germination there then.  But they were free so, apart from my time, nothing lostimage

• turmericturmeric Posts: 830

I'm just really disappointed pansyface.  I got a bit excited and had visions of a cottage garden emerging outside my back door, but I'd be better off using these in a hotpot if I had another 197g of split peas in the cupboard (where's the laughing emoji when you need him).  

• DinahDinah Posts: 294

I have had packets of seed with magazines that didn't germinate at all, and I've often wondered how they manage to transport piles and piles of magazines with packets of seed attached or enclosed without breaking the seeds up. If I purchase seeds by post they nearly always arrive carefully warped. I imagine a delivery van full of magazines, and at some point some hefty folk heaving bundles of 30 or 40 in and out, doping them with thump on the new pile each time. I wonder that any of them grow.

I've seen some shops stack the magazines in silly places too; without any thought for the seeds under, above, or in front of heaters - or on a stand that is near the door, getting rained on. Maybe if clear instructions how to handle, store and display were put on the front of each bundle? 

I hope you get some replacement sweet peas sent out to you jekylandhide. image

Completely agree Dinah.  You'd think with the fanfare that's heralded the arrival of our wonderful 'Free Seeds!' someone at GW would make sure they at least arrived in a decent condition, otherwise what's the point.  I'm no longer looking forward to the Cosmos seeds that are due soon. I'll just go and buy some, but I'll be avoiding T&M that's for sure.

Verdun, I'm tempted to mention it to GW but it seems petty and, to be honest, I wouldn't know how to quickly tell them.  The Contact Us link on here goes to the magazine publishers,  I don't think they'd be interested.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Sweet pea seeds are said to be poisonous, so I wouldn't chuck them in the casserole!

Depends who you're serving it to..!

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 332

I'd let them know if I were you. If you don't, they will assume everything is OK. I've just checked mine. They seem to be alright. I get mine GW in the post so maybe they didn't get such rough treatment.

Mine comes in the post too Marygold.  Maybe I was just unlucky. Not really sure how to let them know though.  I would imagine an email will just get ignored as they probably get thousands.  I'll put it down to experience. Now, who's for hotpot..!