Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Amaryllis stem

After nurturing last year's bulb for twelve months I was delighted to see a flower bud emerging. I have never managed to get one to flower twice before. Sadly the dog ran past it with a toy in his mouth and broke the three inch bud stem off. I was devastated and can see green appearing now but it looks like leaves. Is there a chance of another flower stem this year?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Very unlikely but don't give up hope.  I've had two flowering stems on mature bulbs before.    Feed it with tomato food while the leaves are green so they feed the plant for next year's flower and then let it go dormant in teh usual way.  Keep it well above dog height next year.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

I once had an Amaryllis stem knocked over while growing and it was very bent so I staked it and it went on to flower beautifully!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • My Amaryllis is just about to flower and the stem is 70cm ( 27inches ) high . Is this usual for the length of a stem. It is  stacked though it is now about a foot past this. It was bought from a supermarket as a gift and I have no idea what type of Amaryllis it is .

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Quite normal if it's one of the taller varieties.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato