Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

an-id-of-plant-and-pest-please

Hello folks - my first posting! Hope someone can help?

i am in the process of getting to know my new garden of 18 months and it has some great climbers!  However one is getting munched by something and I wonder if anyone can confirm my own ID of a Solanum Crispum and ID the pest problem?

I haven't been able to spot the pest but the plant was lost amid a tangle of honeysuckle, ivy and a small standard willow (which was also attacked where they lay together). I'm trying to tame the area and encourage more vigorous growth for next year!

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Certailny it is a Solanum of some sort. Not sure what eats them other than snails and slugs though.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Below is a Wiki list of pests that eat Solanum, of which there are several types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lepidoptera_that_feed_on_Solanum

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are you sure that's Solanum crispum? It looks very small flowered and weedy. A bit like a sprawling nightshade that grows here. Bittersweet

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Looked like that to me too.  In other words a weed.  Woody Nightshade.

I'm never sure which night shade is which Wo. My neighbour always calls this one deadly nightshade but that's what I call Atropa bella-donna.

The one I'm talking about smell disgusting when it goes through the shredder

Deadly nightshade is quite different.  Not at all common and confined to chalk soils. And a shrubby plant, not a twiner.  And it has black berries; I think the one pictured will have green (already in the photo) ripening to red/orange berries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_dulcamara

This is the one I've got. It's called Bittersweet in my very old wildflower book.

Bittersweet to me too.

• Hello folks and thanks -( I'm posting this again so apologies if a reply appears that says similar but I can't see the one I posted from my end the other day) 

So it seems to be a weed but certainly of not much value appearance wise but the moths like to feed on it!  Maybe if I move it to my wild garden?  

This site is brilliant!

The seeds are very viable so soon it will spread all over the garden, so beware!

And it is of course poisonous.