Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

And Finally, Unidentified shrub 3

KathrynJaneKathrynJane Posts: 25

Final ones, bit worried about small reddish brown spots on leaves (mainly round white edges) although looks generally very healthy I think, should `i be worried?  Hopefully clear enough in pics.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Does the branch with what looks like a flower at the front of pic 2 belong to the variegated shrub?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

The shrub looks like a pittisporum to me.

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

This one's a bit tricky isn't it?

I initially thought of Eleagnus except the flower is wrong, if the flower belongs to itimage

It could be Pittosporumimage

Well well, seems figrat was onto something there...

This is the flower of Pittosporum tenuifolium nigricans

• KathrynJaneKathrynJane Posts: 25

Yes close up including background leaves and the full shot are all the same plant.  I'm assuming the pinky/browny spots nothing major to worry about...? 

Thanks again all you've been so helpful. 

I found this advice:

Common problems

Pittosporum tenuifolium is susceptible to leaf spot and powdery mildew infections.

It may also suffer from infestations of pittosporum sucker, aphids or cushion scale. If grown indoors the two-spotted spider mite can be a problem.

Very cold temperatures and frost can damage, or even kill, the plant.

Yours looks to be very much alive but perhaps in need of a little TLC image

I don't think I've ever seen a pittosprum in flower.

• Are the flowers really, really small, Nut, and have I seen bees on my Pittisporum , with me wondering what on earth they were doing wasting their energy. Or was I hallucinating?image

Too small for me to see perhaps WW

• KathrynJaneKathrynJane Posts: 25

Yes they are, well kind of petit pois size??? Were lots but just at an end now, now I know what it is I'll see if I can do anything to make it happier, thanks for the advice, all so new to me!!!! Except for the marks it appears very full of life!!!! Maybe a bit of closer inspection required. Thanks again.