London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
15 messages
03/12/2013 at 10:15

Beguiled by the beautiful photos of these beauties in Sarah Raven's catalogue, and helped by sale prices and a 20% off voucher, I bought 100 corms (20 of each in 5 different colours).  I was thinking of planting them in a mild spell this week or next.  Sarah recommends soaking them overnight, but are they going to survive frosty and snow covered ground for weeks on end - as we have been promised up here in North Yorkshire - or will they just go mouldy?

Lyn
03/12/2013 at 10:59

I have just planted mine, and soaked for a few hours though.

Usually, anything that is sold at any given time,can be planted when you get them,

03/12/2013 at 13:33

Which part of the country are you in, Lyn?

03/12/2013 at 13:40

Apart from the times that they flower, is there any difference in numbers of flowers and impact, between planting in late Autumn or waiting till Spring?

Lyn
03/12/2013 at 17:58

I live in a very exposed part of Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor 960 ft above sea level, always windy and cold and snowy in winter.

I dont know about planting in the Spring, i always go on the fact that they sell them now,  so can be planted now. I have also planted the Blanda species too.

Maybe someone else will have some knowledge on this?.

04/12/2013 at 17:10

60 down, 40 to go.  I finished planting for the day in the dark. Hopefully I have spaced out the corms fairly well, but they aren't the easiest things to see against the earth, are they?  

Lyn
04/12/2013 at 18:44

They are very small, they are also quite small when the flower, i put mine 4 inches apart in little groups. Not too deep, i watched Monty plant these once, he just scratched the soil up  then put a mulch on top.

04/12/2013 at 22:44

I'm worried that I may have planted mine too deep at around 3-4"  Will they still come up? And if I'm supposed to mulch them that would mean they have even further to get to the surface.  

Also I am wondering if anyone else on the forum has grown these, and whether they have mulched them?

07/12/2013 at 14:13

I finally got the last ones in yesterday.  Should I mulch them?  If so, would strulch be ok?

07/12/2013 at 16:12

I don't have much success with these. I thought it might be because they get thrown out with weeds but I wonder if I planted too deeply. I can't remember how deeply, I haven't tried them lately.

I don't know what strulch is

07/12/2013 at 17:26

nutcutlet wrote (see)

I don't have much success with these.

Well that's encouraging, nut  

I don't know what strulch is

It's an organic mulch made from straw: straw + mulch = strulch 

It's widely advertised in garden mags, nut.  You could google it to find out more about it.

07/12/2013 at 17:38

They need light sandy soil so only do any good in raised beds for me (clay soil eveywhere else in my garden.)  For them to come back they need to be kept dry after they go dormant too.

07/12/2013 at 17:57

Thanks, Bob. so that they aren't resting on my clay soil, I have cocooned them in a mixture of mpc and grit.  I shall just have to keep everything crossed.  If they don't perform I shall have to try a raised bed.  I wonder if anyone has tried growing them in pots?  And whether that is more successful?

07/12/2013 at 20:57

sounds like they have every chance! I usually just make a hole in the ground with my finger and stick them in (garden with London clay). They have come up fine, even with mulching in Autumn and strulching in spring. They are stunning.

07/12/2013 at 21:16

Thanks Ginglygangly - I feel more hopeful now!  As I planted them between 3 and 4 inches deep, I am worried that another layer of either mulch or strulch on top may be too much for them.  They may give up growing before they reach the surface.  But ....... I'm in North Yorks (Harrogate), so we might have a long winter of frozen soil and without a layer of mulch, they may not survive!    Oh dear, decisions, decisions!

email image
15 messages