London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 18°C
41 to 57 of 57 messages
04/09/2013 at 09:17

Can only repeat.........beautiful long flowering and healthy for me.  I wonder if micro climate has something to do with it.  Bought it 12 months ago now and it has not had to suffer from any real cold weather.  

Kent61a, it will be interesting to read what RHS has to say to you ....they sell this plant!

Collecting another plant today and the recipient area will be of similar quality...viz., dappled shade, good deep soil, reasonable moisture.  But, again, we don't have severe winters!!

04/09/2013 at 11:56

I bought three at a local shop in Denmark for £5.66 each which I thought was a bargain (Denmark is super expensive so not a word I use very often!)  I don't think they know what they had.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30482.jpg?width=600&height=350&mode=max

Two in the garden one in a pot.  They looked a bit sorry for themselves for a couple of days, the one in the pot is in a warm spot and started to keel over slightly so I blocked the light in front of it and it has perked up.  The two put in the garden seem to be happy enough for the moment. 

16/09/2013 at 20:51

Was doing stewarding at our Garden show on Sat, so had lots of time to chat to the exhibitors "AND" pick their brains.

It was actually the worst supported show ever produce wise according to those who have been there for a long time, terrible growing season for the exhibitors!

I mentioned Wild Swan and one of them said he had bought from T&M last year, terrible plug plants was sent, they died almost immediately, T&M said they would replace them this year,they then informed him it would be the end of Sept before they would be sent out, he was still waiting on Sat!

Another one said he had bought 5 giant plugs from Hayloft, when they arrived, three were only stems with no roots pushed into sodden compost, the other 2 were more dead than alive with brown dead roots!

He informed Hayloft and they immediately replaced them, but the second lot were no better, no living roots on any of the plugs!

He has potted them up but at the moment none appears to be trying to grow according to him, he has taken some from their plugs to check, no roots etc, just mush!

The first one said he thought there must be some thing wrong with them as his pal had the same problem!

If this is serious growers and exhibitors thoughts,  what chance have other less experienced gardeners got if they cannot get them to grow first time?

T&M and now Hayloft, it must cost them a fortune in replacing plants that should never have been sent out in the first place!

16/09/2013 at 21:27

Hiya JIMMY

well this has been a contentious topic this past season. I think plugs are not the way to go for wild swan ...most everyone seems to have failed with them.  I have 3 plants now and all are excellent.  The first was planted late last summer.  It flowered well then and has been flowering this year for months.  Currently looking superb.

There is now another variety ...a taller, weeping version of wild swan, name escapes me, and if I can buy it in a 1litre or bigger size I will grow this one too.

16/09/2013 at 21:41

Went to burncoose in the end - expecting them to arrive any day

17/09/2013 at 07:59

Wow chicky they aren't cheap from their either......

17/09/2013 at 09:40

Not too expensive if you live here.  It's the postage costs.  

I'm tempted as easily as everyone else by new plants but really we don't know how these new introductions will perform year in year out.  So much hype and frenzy so we need to research them a little first if we can.  The dilemma is we must have them....NOW.  The growers know that.  Looking back, an awful lot of money has been spent on the latest echinaceas, hellebores, agastaches, etc etc etc.  Some have been good.  Some no better than weak annuals.  Ah well.  Nothing will change......

17/09/2013 at 09:43

Not too expensive if you live here.  It's the postage costs.  

I'm tempted as easily as everyone else by new plants but really we don't know how these new introductions will perform year in year out.  So much hype and frenzy so we need to research them a little first if we can.  The dilemma is we must have them....NOW.  The growers know that.  Looking back, an awful lot of money has been spent on the latest echinaceas, hellebores, agastaches, etc etc etc.  Some have been good.  Some no better than weak annuals.  Ah well.  Nothing will change......

Oh new taraxicum out.  Bigger and better than ever.  Flowers throughout the year.  Simply indestructible, easy to grow and will brighten up your garden in the darkest days of winter.  Only £13 for small plug.   Gotta have that........

17/09/2013 at 09:45

Oops! Posted twice ......wot  am I like?

17/09/2013 at 09:50

For someone who doesn't like annuals, Verdun, you seem to treat a lot of these new perennials as annuals, moving them about, chucking them out, space for new ones. You seem to be more fidgetty than me.

Can you list all the new perennials that you would not bother with again.

I'll start with Hardy gerberas, which in my garden were a total waste of money.

I had some coreopsis in big modules last year, flowered magnificently all last year, then totally disappeared.

I've spent quite a bit this year on the new ecinaceas, I suspect these will be slug food when/if they reappear in the spring.

17/09/2013 at 10:03

Lol fidget I feel the same about my newly created ecinacea bed this year.... I'm happy to report though its intermingled with some monarda and following advice on this site (verdun) I have chopped the flowers off after a period and all have produced a lot of new growth and leaves ... In fact so much so I'm wondering if thre are too many plants in the beds.... Although I hate using them come spring this bed will be peppered with blue pellets.....

17/09/2013 at 10:04

Oh but I did succumb the other week to the new southern belle echinacea! 

17/09/2013 at 10:07

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31172.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

But she's soooooo pretty

17/09/2013 at 19:14

oooo - lovely (if slightly squiffy). Burncoose wasn't that expensive - I bought quite a few other things to make the postage worthwhile - it would have been rude not to .....

17/09/2013 at 19:31

Lol good move!

17/09/2013 at 19:38

...and being Cornish plants they will be of superior quality......

...I'll get my coat!

28/01/2014 at 13:18

I'd advise anyboy  who buys plug plants to pot them on into approx. 9cm or 1 litre pots in a good compost and wait till the pot is filled with roots - then plant out into the garden! If the plugs don't have a lot of roots mix compost with grit or vermiculite and allow to dry out between waterings!  Cathy  CC Plants Glenalmond, Perthshire

email image
41 to 57 of 57 messages