London (change)
Wed 13°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 8°C
61 to 72 of 72 messages
13/11/2014 at 21:18

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/63664.jpg?width=249&height=350&mode=max

This may help with planting conditions for Anemone Wild Swan.

Growing well in The Prairie Garden West Sussex.

I think your reiteration of climate conditions is the key to successful growing Verdun 

I wouldn't attempt to grow them here, too far north and wet.

13/11/2014 at 21:55

My Burncoose ones have settled in nicely and flowered all summer.  They are in dappled shade, quite moist.  Fingers crossed they get through their second winter.

13/11/2014 at 22:01

Chicky, your plants were grown in the healthy environment of Cornwall.  

13/11/2014 at 22:22

13/11/2014 at 22:22

19/11/2014 at 11:13

Been following this thread with interest, as I haven't grown Anemone Wild Swan before, but am proposing it for a client's garden. I thought it would be safest to try and grow it myself first, so I ordered one from Westcountry Nurseries on eBay.

Delighted with the specimen I got in a 9cm pot (along with a Gillenia trifoliata) delivered day after ordering!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/63784.jpg?width=350

Have placed both in a shady bed beneath deciduous trees, alongside Geranium phaeum 'Samobor' (see below). Alkaline clay soil. In my client's garden it will be going somewhere a bit more open, with a little shade from pleached hornbeams to the south, but no overhead trees. Chalky but rich soil with irrigation. Any comments on the suitability of these planting locations gratefully received!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/63785.jpg?width=350

19/11/2014 at 12:09

WillDB, I love anemone wild swan.  Got 3 of 'em. My feeling is they are best bought as decent size plants.

mine grow in good neutral soil, some shade from other perennials but in open positions.  For me some decent sunshine is important.  they all flowered all summer here.  So your client's potential spot seems ideal.  

19/11/2014 at 20:10

Agree  at the prairie garden they were in an open position, sun and shelter from perennials, the soil well draining, bark paths. Such a suprise to see them growing so well. A beautiful flower  

19/11/2014 at 21:10

I once had a prairie garden here in Gloucester but had to give it up, the buffalo or (PC bison) kept stampeding all over it when being chased by Injuns!

19/11/2014 at 21:24

Hi Verdun, finally got around to answering you!

My plants were growing in a border of very good growing medium, the ordinary soil was bulked up with lots of garden compost, peat, stable manure and washed river sand.

I had been growing two varieties of pink (one Queen Charlotte) and one white one which have grown very well over a few years, I actually had to thin them out last Autumn, so the two WS should also have done well there, but they kicked the bucket!

The survivor was planted in a border facing east to west, much the same soil, only hope it survives the winter, will give it a bit of cover from the rain/wet later!

They were all plug plants, contacted T&M but no reply, Hayloft said they were very difficult to grow, at least they replied more than that other lot did!

Cheers

19/11/2014 at 23:30

I think Japanese anemones, as you describe JIMMY, are a little different to Wild Swan.  The former spread quickly underground and have,,usually, a lot of vigour.  Wild swan for me seems reliably floriferous and robust.  Perhaps different soils or climate or physiological conditions come into the reckoning.  As I said before, plugs don't seem reliable 

20/11/2014 at 15:40

Last year I paid £18 +p/p for six plugs of 'white swan'.  I potted them up, nurtured them - and every one died!  I wrote to the supplier and they gave me six more.  I managed to get two into the garden but then they disappeared.  This Spring I was looking for a more mature plant but none were available so I end up with another three one litre pots of 'white swan'.  Yes, they keeled over, one by one.  I gave up all hope of ever growing them, but then, in early summer, one small plant emerged, one of the two I had got as far as the garden last summer.  It flourished and gave me some beautiful flowers, at long last.  I only hope we don't have a harsh winter this year or it may not re-appear next year.  Isn't gardening exciting!!!

email image
61 to 72 of 72 messages