London (change)
Today 17°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 13°C
81 to 83 of 83 messages
12/07/2015 at 10:56

Hi guys, I got two batches of wild swans from two different nurseries. One batch is thriving but all the plants from the other batch suddenly withered and died. I contacted the nursery that discovered and distributed wild swan. The answer is a kind of phytophtora fungus that the plant is very sensitive to. It causes severe root rot. Unfortunately a couple of nurseries had plants infected with that specific fungus so it spread through the wild swan population. That explains the many mysterious sudden deaths. A lot of nurseries now have 'clean' plants for distribution. When buying wild swans lift them out of the container and check the roots. If the roots are brown, don't buy. Healthy roots should be white. Above ground check for withered leaves, leaves with a red coloration or curled edges. That is usually a sign for this type of fungus infection. If you have a healthy plant that is in well-drained soil that never completely dries out, the plant should be fine and thrive.

12/07/2015 at 11:07

Morning Tom.  I have a couple of wild swans.  Different clones too produce different quality.

one plant is much larger than the other and been flowering since May.  Cut back now to produce a flush that will comtinue for several weeks.  The other plant has flowered well but also just cut back

neither plant has phytophthora both being healthy but I have heard many plants are infected.

my plants are prob 3 years old.  For me mulching and feeding, good soil and,,ideally, shade created by slightly taller plants are important.  

12/07/2015 at 19:55

Hi Verdun, my healthy batch were plug plants that were literally just inserted in soil. A few produced a tiny bloom but I cut the flowers off so they could spend their time and energy developing leaves and roots. They are all still alive and seem to be producing new leaves and growing slowly but surely. Haven't got any new flower buds yet but I'd rather they properly establish themselves than produce flowers at this point. I have them in a well mulched border between newly planted trees. The trees are still very small so the wild swans are in full sun most of the day still. I expect the trees will start to produced some dappled shade in the years to come. I hope they can survive full sun (as advertised) as long as the soil doesn't dry out.

email image
81 to 83 of 83 messages