London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 72 messages
27/05/2013 at 19:57

Anyone have it, I got two plugs last year, so far they have just "sat there", every now and again they grow a new leaf and one of the others promply rots, so it's one step forward and promply one step back!

They are about half an inch above the soil in their pots, never have got any taller!

I have other anemones in the garden, thugs and tough as old boots, I have to chop them back every so often as they would take over if left, so why is Wild Swan so delicate?

I also ordered some more last year from that terrible company T & M for delivery in June, then thet said July then Sept, then June this year now I have been told by the end of Sept,I live in hope!

Seeing they are difficult to get hold of, either there has been terrific demand for them or else the company that propagates them has difficulty in increasing their stock besides me trying to get them to actually grow!

I would like to hear others experience of Wild Swan or T & M.

Cheers!

27/05/2013 at 20:32

Hiya jimmy

Yep I have it.  Bought from Hardys plants in 3 litre pot. It flowered for rest of the late summer and I expect it to flower soon and continue til the autumn.  Beautiful white flowers with blue reverse...love it.

Im not convinced about buying perennials as plugs.  I bet you paid as much as I did for your weedy 2 plugs as I did for my fully grown plant...?

28/05/2013 at 12:25

Hello Verdun,

Yes i bet i did, wise after the event!

They look smashing in photo's and a video, exasperated that they will not grow on!

Cheers!

28/05/2013 at 15:30

I'm working on the basis that the price will come down as they get more popular. Beautiful plant, but a bit pricey.

I find plug plants a bit hit and miss. Medium size plants in my experience tend to be more successful, Plants can fail through being too small as well as too large

28/05/2013 at 19:53

Earlier this year I bought 10 eachinacea in 1 litre pots from Crocus, total and utter crap and expensive, completly sodden compost,  all but two of them failed to  grow, they replaced those that had failed to grow, with totally the same crap, which all died, after a lot of hassle they have refunded me half the cost, though not carriage costs!

Then I read that they were supplying one of the Chelsea show gardens, I bet they got better plants than they sent to me!

I then ordered from Simplyseedsand plants, these were plugs grown from tissue culture, all are grow fine so far!

And the motto is-- Crocus and barge poles go together!

30/05/2013 at 21:46

I'm surprised at that Jimmy. If I can't find something locally I usually get it from Crocus. They've all arrived in the best of health - and a good size. Can't think of any that have failed.

Though I have to say that I find Echinacea quite difficult to grow. I've tried several times over the years. The only ones I've had any success with are Purpurea which I grew from seed last year. Just noticed there are 3 emerging

30/05/2013 at 22:48

I would second that - I have never been disappointed with Crocus plants, and I use them quite a lot, because I drive past on the way to work, so can avoid the delivery charge.  I have always found their plants really healthy, and they grow on really well.  One of my favourite places to buy plants - maybe you were unlucky Jimmmy.

30/05/2013 at 22:51

Don't usually buy too much from crocus but have couple of plants,due from them tomorrow.  I find they are pretty good.

Jimmy, I would inform crocus that you are not satisfied with their compensation and ask for full reimbursement

30/05/2013 at 23:28

..these two, perhaps, aren't so well known, but I've been pleased with both and they have extensive plant lists, in case anyone might be interested for the future...

http://www.treseders.co.uk/

http://www.perryhillnurseries.co.uk/

30/05/2013 at 23:53

Perhill nurseries are very good.  They supply small but prices too are small.  You buy to grow on before panting out.

Woottens are excellent .....large plants  delivered perfectly.  There are others too that are very good.

31/05/2013 at 00:14

..I've not tried Perhill.... but I quite like their website...they are based in Worcestershire and not to be confused with Perryhill, the one I highlighted...who are situated near East Grinstead...East Sussex/Kent border...

I shall look up Woottens, don't know them...

31/05/2013 at 08:31

Oh sorry Salino.  Just read too quickly and thought you said Perhill.

Think you will like woottens.....excellent in every way for special or particular plants

02/06/2013 at 07:33

Chicky, I'm glad I don't live anywhere near Crocus. I think I'd be bankrupt by now

02/06/2013 at 09:38

It is a bit of a liability!

02/06/2013 at 14:27

I bought a job lot of 75 perennials from T&M last year to fill lots of empty space until I get time to put other things in - virtually all survived (my first time buying plug plants) and the beds are looking very good this year despite the bad weather

I've got some Wild Swan on order from Hayloft which should come next month. I think they come as large plugs. Not cheap - 3 for £18.50, but I've found their plants good previously.

02/06/2013 at 15:53

hiya daisy

your plants will be small from T & M so best planted into small pots

i bought a large plant last summer and it is lovely.  now about to flower again.

patience with your plants. partial shade in good soil

02/06/2013 at 17:51

Yes - they were small plugs but I planted them into 9cm pots. I'm not sure how big the Hayloft plugs will be, but they say ' big enough to plant out straight awy but better to pot up for a few weeks'

04/06/2013 at 07:05

I'm waiting on my Hayloft plants to arrive as well. I recently got the Salvia collection from them and they were all good sized plants. They're potted on now into 9inch pots. I hope my White Swan are as strong and healthy when they arrive.

04/06/2013 at 07:50

well, lazy gardener wild swan is worth waiting for.  buds soon to open on mine

04/06/2013 at 16:14

well, lazy gardener wild swan is worth waiting for.  buds soon to open on mine

Bah, shouldn't be allowed!

Ps why are all the best plants the hardest to grow?

1 to 20 of 72 messages