London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
6 messages
19/07/2013 at 09:00

I picked up a couple of small Angelica Archangelicas at a garden centre recently. They are only a foot or so tall, so will not reach their eventual (massive!) height till next year, I presume. My question is, will they die down in the autumn / winter and reappear again in the Spring or remain dormant throughout that time with the leaves they put on before the Autumn?  

19/07/2013 at 09:04

Hi Roy, they die down completely over winter and re appear next spring.  They are more long lived if you prevent them from going to seed.

19/07/2013 at 09:07

Hi Paula - will Angelica be hardy up here in west of Scotland? I also think it isn't but not sure why! It's something I'd like to grow.

19/07/2013 at 09:10

It is classed as hardy Fairygirl.  Avoid planting it in a hot dry site, avoid south facing borders and it needs deep fertile soil to do really well.  Tends to become a biennial rather than perennial if you let it flower and then go to seed.

26/07/2013 at 10:22

Thank you for those answers, think I'll have to move them somewhere more shady!

26/07/2013 at 16:02

I treat Angelica as a herbaceous biennial.  It is very impressive when it flowers, the bees love it and it will self seed.  It needs to be kept out of the wind though or it will snap.

email image
6 messages