London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 16°C
9 messages
08/07/2013 at 12:03

Hi folks,sitting here in a cafewith Wifi because Virgin cut me off, without warning, 3 weeks before the agreed change ISP date. But that's a rant all by itself.

I have grown Angelica gigas from 2 different sources, one has the expected red pigment in the leaves, the other has not. Is it likely the light green ones are angelica gigas? 

I'll pick up any answers in a day or two Thanks

08/07/2013 at 14:43

nutcutlet... how nice to see you around again,... I feared you might have fallen into a Fenland swamp...

...sorry to hear of your problems with ISP's..one of the reasons I'm so reluctant to change, even though I know I should...

..cannot answer your question, so 'ttt'....[to the top]... in the hope someone else might..

08/07/2013 at 14:58

I wondered what had happened to you too - noticed you were missing from the plant ID threads!  I'm also due to change ISP so thanks for the heads-up. Sorry, can't answer your Q though - did a google and didn't realise how many forms there were - the scandinavian ones that survive -40C were a surprise - always thought of it as a 'mediterranean' plant.

08/07/2013 at 21:08

I think that gigas is the purple/red one. I have grown archangelica which is just green.

08/07/2013 at 21:15

Nutcutlet - do you have a smartphone? You can turn them into a temporary modem for your laptop to access the Internet - its what I do whenever we change service provider. If you don't know how todo it, happy to provide instructions!

08/07/2013 at 22:30

I acquired some angelica gigas seed last year and raised 4 plants. They are now planted out to flower next year. They are green leaved with a bit of red at the base of each leaf. The parent plant definitely had the red flower head.

Tonight at hampton court show on beeb 2 , there was another variety of angelica gigas called ebony which had red leaves as well as red flower. Maybe you have some of each.

10/07/2013 at 09:52

Thanks folks, looks like wait and see. I can remember seeing gigas in a garden, completely covered in insects which is why I went for it. Didn't pay attention to the leaves unfortunately. The green ones look like the common angelica ?archangelica or sylvestris, the sort you can soak in sugat and put on cakes. The red ones look exciting but only 2 of those.

Jontyd. I don't even know what a smart phone is but I do have this little Samsung item that is a ? netbook. Works well.

10/07/2013 at 09:57

PS, nice to be missed. Back in full working order on 22nd July. 

Not fallen in a drain Salino, though people do that regularly down our road.

23/08/2014 at 18:25

It's the one with the green leaves

email image
9 messages