Start a new thread

1 to 15 of 15 replies

Netfella

Hi folks,

I have this annoying tree/shrub that keeps popping up everywhere I don't know if it's seeding itself or sending out runners but whatever it's doing, it's boring, doesn't flower or fruit and pops up in the flower bed and in my hedges. Any ideas what it is?

Cheers

James

nutcutlet

I think it's Salix caprea, goat willow but it looks a bit odd. Has it had a dose of something?

Netfella
Oh willow, never thought of that! Looked like a sort of apple leaf to me. I haven't sprayed it with anything, it is as it comes.
nutcutlet

It does have a red tinge but that seemed redder than usual. I'm sure you'll get a second opinion later on

Netfella
Thanks. I'm sure I've never seen any catkins on them but perhaps they never last that long in my garden lol.

Advertisement

nutcutlet

That one is too small for flowering. I'm surprised we don't have a second opinion yet

Looks like a dogwood to me, are the stems red or do i need to go to specsavers?
nutcutlet

It all looks a bit red

Netfella

Here's another picture I took earlier. The stems are a sort of russet colour. I can get another of the one in my hedge tomorrow. That one is about 12ft tall very spindly and does nothing but have foliage.

Are there any plum or damson trees nearby? I does remind me of the suckers that they sometimes throw up.

Hortum-cretae

I would have said that's a plum sucker. Where's the old stump, nearby? 

Netfella
Ah that is possible. There used to be a small greengage tree nearby which I took down some years ago as it split and never recovered. The tree is no longer there but I guess the suckers could now be self sustaining. There's also apple trees, do they have suckers?
Hortum-cretae

Not in the way that plum does. Plum suckers will pop up some way from the old stump, often several feet from the original tree. You'll find it'll be prunus cerasifera or some such, a native tree and the fruit will be small (yellow or red), a bit insipid raw, but fine for wine and jams.

Netfella

It's good to finally find out what it is. Perhaps I'll move one to a better position and keep it and remove the rest. Thanks for all the help, it's really appreciated.

Cheers

James

Steve 309

Plum sucker.  I have loads of them on my 'allotment'.  No idea where the original is/was.  There's a Victoria tree on the far side but they're too far away from that.