Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Annuals for partial and complete shade

Hi All

Can anyone give me the names of a few good annuals to grow for parts of my garden that have partial and complete shade. One area is north facing (complete) and the other is south-west facing (partial). I'm looking flowers that will grow between 30 to 60cm

Thanks for any help

• I don't believe many annuals like shady conditions.However my garden is surrounded by woodland so shade is so something we have plenty of, and Foxgloves (maybe a bit too tall), Honesty and Columbine self seed themselves all over the place.

Although they're not strictly annuals they will flower in the first year if planted early enough.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks everyone for your help. There is a few their from everyone I will try image

• Fuschias,impatiens and lobelia grow fine in partial shade image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I was going to say Fuschia, Busy-Lizzies and lobelia as well, also begonias, especially bedding begonias, if you don't mind them being on the short side.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thanks Lizzie, I never thought of bedding begonias, I'll def give those a ago. I dont mind them short, just as long as they give colourimage

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

According to the RHS, Calendula officinalis Fiesta Gitana and Coreopsis grandiflora should do well in your partially shaded area as should Nemophila maculata, the Nicotiana Domino Series and Rudbeckia Hirta 'Toto' all of which will provide good colour but I suspect the best bet for your north facing bed is the bedding begonias previously mentioned and impatiens or Busy Lizzy.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato