London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
9 messages
03/09/2013 at 14:56

I bought a lovely foxglove this year and it's obviously dying back now (it's in a terracotta pot).  Question is - should I just leave it alone with all the dead heads on, or do I cut it back now?  Also what about frost protection, will they be ok?

I've also taken some cuttings of my favourite roses in the garden, I've dipped them in rooting powder, potted them and put them in the greenhouse.  Do I just leave them alone now until next spring, just watering occasionally? 

You can see i'm new to all this!!

Many Thanks

03/09/2013 at 15:14

Foxgloves are biennials judy, it will have been sown last year, tofloer this year and then it dies.

let it seed to get some more, they'll flower the year after next

03/09/2013 at 15:53

Some foxgloves are biennial and some varieties are perennial. If you still have the plant label check that, or if not collect the seed to sow again.

03/09/2013 at 17:04

Thanks for your replies, and yes it is a perenial foxglove called camelot cream.  I'm not sure whether to cut back now, or wait til spring???

03/09/2013 at 18:46

I cut mine back about 2 months ago now, i expected it to justproduce more foliage for next year, it has infact flowered again but rather than 1large spire, i have 4 medium sized spires.  I will cut it back again once the flowers are done.

05/09/2013 at 23:15

Just googled camelot cream, they are lovely.

I planted a few varieties of foxglove a month or so back in the hope they would flower next year but after some research I might have to wait a bit longer!

05/09/2013 at 23:27

what size are your plants now Gary? I would expect anything that's a plant this year should have a flower next

05/09/2013 at 23:41

They are still in seed trays so quite small, about an inch round max at the moment i'd say. That would be very nice if that is the case.

06/09/2013 at 06:17

Re the rose cuttings - I'd put them in a cool corner of the garden rather than in the greenhouse and then ignore them for at least 9 months, just ensuring that they don't get dried out next summer.  

If you've got the space, it's far better to put the cuttings in a slit trench in the garden rather than a pot, then you really can just leave them to get on with it - here's how to do it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/8822851/Make-a-slit-trench-for-hardwood-cuttings.html 

email image
9 messages