Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Another "Guess the plant" Thread

Had this plant in the garden for the last year, but still haven't figured out what it is. Any idea's? Bonus points if you can also identify the small plant near the back-right corner of the third photo (was a cutting we were given but can't remember what they said it was called!).

I look forward to all your suggestions! image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Do either of them have flowers at all?

Can't see very well, but the one at the back might be a choisya - if it is it will have little white flowers in spring.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Chicky-click on the pictures for a bigger view and again to zoom

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Thanks Geoff - works a treat.

However, unfortunately now I can't blame my ignorance on poor eyesight!  And I am still not very much wiser!! 

• I don't remember it flowering last year. Was worried it was just a weed and foolishly I had just let it grow. Any other ideas?

• It could be a skimmia or a pieris. Both have white flowers in the Spring. Skimmia have round flat heads composed of lots of tiny flowers, pieris have sprays of lily of the valley shaped flowers. Neither has any scent to speak of.

• Hopefully it'll flower this year and we can find out! lol.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Neither looks like Choisya - I was chopping chunks off a rampant one yesterday and the leaves are not quite the same shape. Choisya also has quite a powerful smell when cut or leaves broken - not sure how to describe it, though.  Is the back one some sort of perennial? The leaves are rather low to the ground for a shrub.

• tombotombo Posts: 1

Looks to me like some sort of viburnum tinus.

• NolaNola Posts: 209
    I agree with Flo, don't think either of them are a Choisya.

Mmmmm, perhaps like tombo says, the front one could be a Viburnum..

I wonder if the one at the back might be a type of Hebe?
  • I do enjoy these mystery plants (although I can rarely suggest anything!)

I agree with Nola and think the small one at the back is a Hebe but have no idea what the main one is.