London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
6 messages
09/06/2013 at 11:23

Hi. I have a large, fast-growing plant that has appeared in my border that I do not know whether is a weed or not. I have left it to grow so far as I know I planted something in that spot last year but I can't remember what! The reason I have now questioned whether it is a weed is because I've seen the same thing growing behind my house on the edge of a field. My neighbour says she removed one from her front garden a few years ago (not knowing whether it was a weed or not either) and said it has thousands of tiny needles/thorns growing up its stems, and gloves should be worn when taking it out. Any help appreciated. Pic (hopefully) below. Thanks.

http://www.kerryellisweb.co.uk/photo.JPG

09/06/2013 at 11:44

That's hogweed - as it's name suggests it's a common weed, but they are striking architecturally arent' they?  It's not the Giant Hogweed which can cause severe rashes, but the British Native relative of it.  We used to pick it by the sackful when we were children as pet rabbits love it. Don't let it seed or you'll have a bed full of it. Carefully stick a fork in the ground around it and ease it up, then pull it out, trying to get all the long tap root - it shouldn't be a huge problem. 

09/06/2013 at 16:45

Excellent, thanks for your reply. Yes, the architectural leaves threw me and I didn't want to get rid if it just in case! Will remove it ASAP.

09/06/2013 at 16:48

It is a magnificent looking plant - if it didn't grow 'like a weed' we'd probably all be desperate to have one 

09/06/2013 at 21:42

If any one wants one I have thousands. Don't let it seed elaych

09/06/2013 at 22:10

Lovely Geum you've got there too, they've been my own favourite plants so far this year.

email image
6 messages