Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

I've read through a number of posts referencing climbing roses..but hoping someone could review my query and help me out....

I am looking for a climbing rose for my front porch. It is north facing and shaded. I am hoping to find a plant that has small flowers and if possible is evergreen and scented 

Thank you

Hi Briony - don't know of any evergreen roses, but i have had New Dawn and Little White Pet grow well on north facing walls. Both have some scent, but not very strong.

Your best bets are Rose mulliganii, Rosa Banksiae, Felicite Perpetue and       Adlelaide  d' Orleans, all have evergreen tendancies.

The first 2 have small white or yellow flowers, but they are ramblers so would have to be kept in check.

Mme Alfred Carriere and Veilchenblau, will both do well on a north wall, they do need training all reach about 15ft.

A truly evergreen rose is at the moment impossible, in time however the rose breeders may come up with something.

mme alfred carriere and zepherine drouhin 1st white 2nd pink 2nd smells divine i have on north facing wall

star gaze lily

I've got new dawn on one of my walls, also getting mme alfred carriere for an arch very soon, has a beautiful smell