London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
5 messages
19/03/2014 at 21:22

I've read through a number of posts referencing climbing roses..but hoping someone could review my query and help me out....

I am looking for a climbing rose for my front porch. It is north facing and shaded. I am hoping to find a plant that has small flowers and if possible is evergreen and scented 

Possible?

Thank you

19/03/2014 at 22:22

Hi Briony - don't know of any evergreen roses, but i have had New Dawn and Little White Pet grow well on north facing walls. Both have some scent, but not very strong.

19/03/2014 at 22:32

Your best bets are Rose mulliganii, Rosa Banksiae, Felicite Perpetue and       Adlelaide  d' Orleans, all have evergreen tendancies.

The first 2 have small white or yellow flowers, but they are ramblers so would have to be kept in check.

Mme Alfred Carriere and Veilchenblau, will both do well on a north wall, they do need training all reach about 15ft.

A truly evergreen rose is at the moment impossible, in time however the rose breeders may come up with something.

20/03/2014 at 08:49

mme alfred carriere and zepherine drouhin 1st white 2nd pink 2nd smells divine i have on north facing wall

20/03/2014 at 09:21

I've got new dawn on one of my walls, also getting mme alfred carriere for an arch very soon, has a beautiful smell

email image
5 messages