7 messages
18/04/2013 at 13:08

This year I have successfuly grown antywhatsits. The seedlings now have about 3/4 leaves. Should I pinch the top out to encourage bushiness or leave them to it?

thanks

18/04/2013 at 14:39

I'e got hundreds of these too - mine only have the beginnings of their first true leaves though - I hope they're not too late!

Don't know what to do re. piching out I'm afraid - hadn't planned on it as I thought they were just a single stem, so not needed.

Do many of yours have three leaves (I mean three seedling leaves, then three true leaves and so on)?

18/04/2013 at 15:34

They are growing very straight, with about 3 proper leaves, which is why I wondered if they need pinching out to become bushy.

Guess we'll both have to wait and see what others say

18/04/2013 at 19:46

Hi both, I would say pinch out.  Grew them last year and pinched out a few to see what happened and then did the rest. They did grow into bushy plants with multiple stems  They put on a fantastic show and the large bumblies adored them.

I would just do a few at first to see how they get on, if all good you can always do the rest

18/04/2013 at 20:02

Bit of an after thought, I start pinching out when the seedling starts to look like a bit of a true plant, hope that makes sense

Mine had 4-5 true leaves and were looking very sturdy.

18/04/2013 at 20:25
Matty, think Hollie hock has got it right. That's what I do. And pinch back to pair shoots to,double up the growth. I do this at least twice.
So, wait until you have few leaves and stems...as Hollie says ""when the seedling starts to look like a bit of a true plant"
18/04/2013 at 23:44

Thanks as ever. Means I can use my new mini clippers. 

email image
7 messages