Start a new thread
Matty2

This year I have successfuly grown antywhatsits. The seedlings now have about 3/4 leaves. Should I pinch the top out to encourage bushiness or leave them to it?

thanks

I'e got hundreds of these too - mine only have the beginnings of their first true leaves though - I hope they're not too late!

Don't know what to do re. piching out I'm afraid - hadn't planned on it as I thought they were just a single stem, so not needed.

Do many of yours have three leaves (I mean three seedling leaves, then three true leaves and so on)?

Matty2

They are growing very straight, with about 3 proper leaves, which is why I wondered if they need pinching out to become bushy.

Guess we'll both have to wait and see what others say

hollie hock

Hi both, I would say pinch out.  Grew them last year and pinched out a few to see what happened and then did the rest. They did grow into bushy plants with multiple stems  They put on a fantastic show and the large bumblies adored them.

I would just do a few at first to see how they get on, if all good you can always do the rest

hollie hock

Bit of an after thought, I start pinching out when the seedling starts to look like a bit of a true plant, hope that makes sense

Mine had 4-5 true leaves and were looking very sturdy.

Advertisement

Matty, think Hollie hock has got it right. That's what I do. And pinch back to pair shoots to,double up the growth. I do this at least twice.
So, wait until you have few leaves and stems...as Hollie says ""when the seedling starts to look like a bit of a true plant"
Matty2

Thanks as ever. Means I can use my new mini clippers.