Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

Hi all, I'm new here, I love gardening, I don't really have much of a clue what I'm doing, I just seem to throw things in and hope for the best, I love Dhalia though and can't wait till July/Aug to see my Dhalia Vulkan again, any way i was wondering if some of you nice people can help, I have a friend up in Scarborough who has just moved into a new house, and he's asked me if I could identify this for him, I couldn't and have no idea what it is, can anyone here help,

Its planted in sandy soil he tells me, and a few of them about, he didn't know wheter it was somekind of orchid, by I'm not so sure..Any help please.

Chris

nutcutlet

Is this in flower now Chris?

Im not sure Nutcutlet, I think its just starting out as he's only just moved in ( March/April) and he's not mentioned it before

Yeah you could be right , I've just googled it and the pics are very similar, you absolute star Charley Farley

Advertisement

I think you are right, butterbur generally comes up with the flowers first, and then the large leaves follow a little later.

nutcutlet

That's what I was thinking but hoped I was wrong. 

nutcutlet

Too late for Chris's friend I fear

Dovefromabove

I just love Butterbur - I think it's gorgeous - ok so it spreads, but if you're lucky enough to have lots of room and a wild patch it's fabulous - the bees love it in early spring and as you said, it looks amazing.  

There used to be so much of it around when I was a child, but I don't see it so much any more - those huge leaves we used to use as sunshades or umbrellas - back in the 'olden days' the leaves were used to wrap butter in to keep it cool - hence it's name.  

Alien invader ?? Is it poisonous then Woodgreen wonderboy, obviously i'll have to let him know

Dovefromabove

It's used in herbal medicine - can decrease swelling and lots of other uses - I wouldn't recommend eating it as too much can cause problems, but my understanding is that it shouldn't cause a problem if a curious child nibbled a bit.  We certainly used to play with it as children - using the big leaves as plates for our sandwiches - and as I said, dairy maids used the leaves to wrap butter in, and the human race has survived.

It's not anything to be frightened of, IMHO