London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
01/11/2013 at 16:32

Any ideas please, what is this...???...Given to me by a friend with no label...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33537.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

and also this one, again with no label

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33538.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

all ideas welcome...Cheers

Carmic

01/11/2013 at 16:49

I'd say the first is a pieris, those who garden on acid soil will tell you if I'm wrong.

The second a variegated abelia

01/11/2013 at 17:02

Wow you are one knowledgable gardener Nutcutlet...Thankyou

I have a whole garden which I would like to identify all the plants/shrubs etc...The garden here is well established but I have a new garden just starting next door and I would like to propagate as much as possible from this garden to save monies...

Do you think I can take cuttings from either of these two above...???

Carmic

01/11/2013 at 17:05

Confetti I think nut.  Currently have this one in a pot.....undecided exactly where to put it.  Want a purple shrub near it....euphorbia rubra, pit Tom thumb or berberis pur nana.  Or maybe a red phormium.  Or ophiopogon  or uncinia in the foreground..    Decisions, decisions. 

01/11/2013 at 17:06

Carmic, does your friend need a label then?  

01/11/2013 at 17:08

Abelia yes, but I'd get your instructions from someone else. Seeds are my thing. My cuttings  success rate is not good

pieris, no idea

Anything you want IDd just put it on here. Someone will know it

01/11/2013 at 17:21

Its an incredible forum Nutcutlet...I've only been here a couple of weeks and learning every day.

You say seeds are your thing...I am amazed at some Lupin seeds I started last week which I took from a plant in the garden ( I don't think the plant was looking when I stole them...!!!)...I soaked them overnight Wednesday, sowed they on Thursday and they had germinated by Saturday...surely that is not normal...???

All I have to do is try and keep them alive now....Highly unlikely but I will try...

Carmic

01/11/2013 at 17:28

Seeds are just not my strength nut.  I have no patience, alas  I get satisfaction from cuttings but I guess from seed it's even better.

Hey carmic, yes post other pictures.  One way or another here you will find out what you have.  

01/11/2013 at 17:29

Verdun...Now you and Nutcutlet are bl**dy showing orf...I was born a gypsy so I never went to school to learn me 3 r's never mind bl**dy latin plant names...I canny keep up with you all.I reckon you all are speakin' a different bl**dy language to me ...oh and Verdun just for the record All my friends need a label...

Cheers

Carmic

Right more Drambuie needed...oops thats nigh on the end of the bottle...Hic Hic

01/11/2013 at 17:30

Fresh seed can germinate very quickly Carmic.

Confetti is it Verdun? I'd like one with really dark green leaves but all the ones I see are yellow/gold green. Is there a good dark green one?

KEF
01/11/2013 at 17:33

I knew the first was a Pieris and thought the second was one I have one that looks similar.

I'll take a photo when I get the canoe out. Just wait, bet I've got an Abelia pretending to be a Pieris   

01/11/2013 at 17:37

You'll know when it flowers KEF

Wet up your way?

01/11/2013 at 17:41

So if that is so Nutcutlet and those Wallflower seedlings o from the the plant ie fresh into the compost and then my other thread are only that big if I sowed some now straight........

oh dear the Drambueie has got me...I will start again if I may...

So if that is so Nutcutlet, and those Wallflower seedlings are only that big (the ones I took a photo of in the other thread) surely if I sowed some fresh seed now in compost then wacked them fast into the greenhouse they would catch up...or is that wishful thinkin'...???

Me thinks I'm better at makin' coffee cake than this gardening lark...

Cheers

PS My coffee cake is nought to write home about but at least its predicable...!!!

KEF
01/11/2013 at 17:42

It has flowered and mine is a pieris, Vesuvius? Small thing but nice.

Wet, the ducks on the pond have their brollies out.

01/11/2013 at 17:43

Nut, yes seceral dark green varieties.  Forgive me, not up to date but grandiflora varieties ring a bell.  Francis mason ??  Have to check it out now.

Friend grows one I planted 15 years ago.  And a neighbour too.  Easy on the eye right now.  You no likee the variegated ones nut?  In sunshine comfettii is lovely just for the foliage and right now it's white flowers are like little gems.

The dark green varieties have pink flowers with touches of red.  I'll check out Francis mason and comment shortly.......

01/11/2013 at 17:50

You could, but you've got a head start there. You can line up them up a seed tray. 

Do both, you may or may not have success. That's how you learn. I've been at it years and still make discoveries for myself or read things on this forum that I didn't know

01/11/2013 at 17:51

Nut, I am wrong and you are right. Francis mason does have touches of yellow in the foliage as do many varieties of abelia.  There are some green varieties though...Edward Goucher, from checking them out.  The flowers look more attractive on the plain green varieties but i think they are bigger shrubs.

01/11/2013 at 17:57

Not keen on too much variegation Verdun.

And having lived all my life in very limey areas I tend to associate yellow with chlorosis (is that how you spell it?)

and things are more yellow even if it's not deficient. I had Frances Mason and she was much yellower here than she was in the nursery

clk
01/11/2013 at 21:37

I thought the first was a skimmia and the second a weigela so I wonder what  is it that distinguishes them?

clk
01/11/2013 at 21:46

The shape and arrangement of leaves is quite distinctive for the skimmia.

For the abelia it's the shiny leaves and their shape and the shape of the flowers

1 to 20 of 23 messages