Start a new thread

1 to 14 of 14 replies

Lorea

sotongeoff

Lorea

Based on past form I am probably wrong but the first one is definitely a green plant, the second one either some form of aster or a penstemon

Prize?

smudge

The first one looks like Mouse-eared Hawkweed  Pilosella officinarum.

The 2nd one im not too sure about because of the angle, however i thought it might be Rose Bay Willow Herb, but the leaves seem a bit wide.

Any chance you could break a bit off and see if its bleeds white latex..?  as it might be a Spurge.

Dovefromabove

Don't know about the first one, but the second one looks like phlox seedlings to me.

sotongeoff

Having just gone outside and looked at my phlox-now tend to agree that the 2nd one is phlox-rubbish at this

Advertisement

Lorea

Geoff, you're determined to get asters or penstemons into my garden aren't you?  Aster would be more likely than penstemon, as I seem to remember planting one which never came up, but I thought it was in a different place. (By the way, the others turned out to be sweet william). 

Smudge, you are right about the first one, I think it is the rather cutely named mouse-eared hawkweed, which is described as "a serious weed" (probably because it reads a lot), although it does have medicinal properties apparently.

Lorea

You sneaked in with that post while I was writing, Geoff. I did sow some phlox seeds last year, but labeled them, and none of them have come up where the labels are...strange... . The flowers will reveal all in due course...

weejenny

The second one is definitely rose bay willow herb get rid of it quick or it will be everywhere!!

Spooky40

First one is Mouse eared hawkbit ( grim the collier ) and second is Phlox.

Almost certain

Spooky is right about the first one I think, Grim the Collier or Orange Hawkweed, one of our few Orange Wildflowers.

M F.

1st looks like Hawkweed I agree, known as Fox & Cubs around these parts..

The 2nd certainly looks like a Phox to me too, leaves look very like Paniculata to me..

M F.

1st looks like Hawkweed I agree, known as Fox & Cubs around these parts..

The 2nd certainly looks like a Phlox to me too, leaves look very like Paniculata to me..

Lorea

So no doubts about the first one then. I'd love the second one to be phlox and not rose bay willow herb!

Dovefromabove

Be happy - that is definitely not rose bay willlow herb