London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
11 messages
16/06/2013 at 20:45

I grew from seed this year dwarf delphniums (magic fountain) and dwarf hollyhock (queeny) they seem to be doing well and was wondering will they flower this year and will they survive the winter as there is mixed reviews on if they will survive or not. Anyone had any experience of them they are both supposedly perienial and flower in first year.

16/06/2013 at 21:23

I haven't grown the dwarf types, but I'm guessing they will probably flower next year. How big are they? I've over wintered hollyhocks and larkspurs in a cold frame

-
16/06/2013 at 21:31

My climate is somewhat different, but I´ve grown Magic Fountains and Majorette.

The first one succumbed to untimely heat where I live (last year was terrible for

me), but they grew quickly and bloomed in 5 months.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25662.jpg?width=524&height=350&mode=max

Now Majorette had a hard time with imagine what- mallow rust, but took one whole

year to bloom (just like any other hollyhock). Maybe I was wrong in sowing the

latter in mid-spring; perhaps end of summer would be more suitable. Anyway, there

you are.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25663.jpg?width=583&height=350&mode=max

16/06/2013 at 22:37

They look good I have been growing them since january they are both about a foot high and a foot wide so i am hoping they bloom. How high was the follage when they bloom as i am unsure how big they will get.

17/06/2013 at 10:26

Have done dwarf delphiniums, they are lovely - too windy here to grow the tall ones - haven't yet tried the hollyhocks, maybe next year - we will see. 

-
17/06/2013 at 12:36

I grew the delphiniums in pots, so they didn´t grow much (about one and a half foot,

without the blooms).

The hollyhocks started blooming when they were over 2 feet high.

17/06/2013 at 20:48

Well i have been feeding them and lots of tlc so hopefully i may see some blooms in august from the january sown ones,

17/06/2013 at 20:56

Hiya cairnsie

They won't flower this year....prob next summer.  I do grow them....prefer the majestic tall ones though....in the ground and in pots.  In normal mpc in reasonably large pots.  Pot them on few times this summer as they grow...and I,would pinch them out too....and then overwinter in greenhouse.  Next spring pot on again as growth requires  to provide a long flowering plant next summer

17/06/2013 at 20:58

Unfortunately mine are in the ground so cant pot them on or overwinter them. Do you think they will survive?

Thanks for the replys

17/06/2013 at 21:46

I would say they that would be fine, delps and hollyhocks are hardy and your plants sound big and strong already

Lovely colour of the majorette

17/06/2013 at 23:37

If the ground isn't too heavy your delphiniums should be fine.  

You say a foot high and wide so they have grown well then.  They could well flower this summer in that case

email image
11 messages