Start a new thread

21 to 28 of 28 replies

Orchid Lady

All I can find is this Peter, it is the last bit that talks about pinching out, but that's for cuttings and yours look bigger than cuttings.  

I personally would leave them unless they look like they are getting leggy and not bushy and then maybe pinch the top, but I'm not an expert, although have grown my one. Hydrangea for longer than anything else I have 

I am going to take cuttings from mine at the end of the summer and see if I can make babies, never tried it before 

Thank you good lady, sorry for the delay in answering, thought I'd answered but must have missed the submit button,

Mrs. Garden, of the 3 Glam Rock plants that looked so healthy there is now only one.

All three were in the same pot to start with and were then moved on into their own pot, all had the same compost, same watering and same position in the garden so each had the same share of sun, but 2 of them just didn't make it, here's a picture of the survivor. (seed packet for scale)

The RhS are selling it and I would trust them. Look on their website.  Only problem is they charge for delivery.

I bought one in the spring, grew it on in a pot and it is doing fine with more than a dozen flowers, there are some new ones still not in the flowering stage but green with a red tinge on the edges of the flowerets as in the photo by Daphne54. Comments above raising suspicions about the descriptions not being accurate surely applies to all hydrangeas.  I have quite a few and their colours vary according to what I dig in, mulch etc.  

Cuttings are very easy to raise and the only thing I have a problem with is that they like moisure, but I live in Cornwall so that for most of my plants except for one part of the garden, which dries out very quickly, is not a problem. 

Mine from T&M arrived last year a similar size to Peter Piper's in the photo above but didn't really grow much, it barely made it through winter with only 1 of the 3 stems surviving which had one flower head appear this year in a greeny colour turning to vivid pink colour (it was in a pot with ericaceous compost). It was a very pretty colour but the plant then died! So T&M sent me a replacement which has grown a lot better than the first one did, much healthier and over a foot tall now, but no flowers this year. I'm hoping for some next year though and although the flowers aren't exactly as the photos suggest it was pretty enough I'd say go for it and hope you get a good specimen.  

These were purchased last year from Gardening Express. Potted in MPC, kept in dappled shade and watered with tap water. No water butt here.

Can't quite get the colour right which is more of a deep salmon.

My post above was wrong, I had purchased mine last autumn, not this spring and potted it on in the early spring in a 10inch pot and has done well. I will plant it out early autumn.  I am changing a whole bed to consist mainly of Hydrangeas with a couple of Verbena, Marisii and Kilimanjarow to provive a little early interest.