6 messages
22/04/2013 at 12:47

I've got loads (actually far, far too many) of snapdragon seedlings and some stocks, both of which I grew from seed. The snapdragons are just sprouting their second set of true leaves and the stocks have about 8 leaves each and are starting lo look like proper little plants. I keep them in a mini greenhouse, with the door open when it's sunny.

Can anyone give me any advice about how to look after them in general - I thought I should just wait until after frosts and then plant them out, but I've heard that stocks at least are quite hardy, so maybe I'm cosseting them too much by keeping them in the mini greenhouse.

22/04/2013 at 14:54

Antirrhinums are fairly hardy as well PF, sometimes they last through a winter.Have you pricked them out? I'd grow them on a bit more than 2 leaves,  then harden them off and plant them out. You're ahead of me, I haven't pricked out yet , they're still tiny.

I've never grown stocks but I should think they would be much the same. 

22/04/2013 at 16:00

Thanks nutcutlet - I wasn't sure whether they could withstand a frost. Yes I have mostly pricked them out, but they are still quite crowded so I'm keen to get them planted out asap. I must have at least 150 - can't bring myself to get rid of any...

If they survive winter do they flower again?

Also, have you ever had any snapdragon seedlings with three leaves instead of two? I mean three seedling leaves, three true leaves and so on (they look like a triangle from above). Lots of mine are like this.

22/04/2013 at 16:26

Antirrhinums will satnd some frost when they've grown up and hardened off. I had some growing in a wall at a previous house, they lived and flowered for years. Strictly speaking they are perennial but usually grown as annuals, and better like that I think. My perennials weren't that great, flowers were OK but a bit woody and straggly.

I haven't noticed the three seed leaves thing particularly with the snapdragons but often get that with assorted seedlings every year. Actaea alba have done it in a big way this year. It doesn't seem to affect the final result.

If you've got 150 you will want to get them out, can't pot on that many. I always have too many, never learn to be more moderate.

22/04/2013 at 17:33

I have today sorted some seeds to sow. Antirrhinum are one of them, so I'm miles behind both of you

22/04/2013 at 17:42

I think us late sowers will have come off best this year Bev. Mine have only been up a few days, germinated in 3

email image
6 messages