Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

anyone have one of these?

LynLyn Posts: 23,190

My daughter bought this for me last summer, it was labelled Geranium, it stayed green all winter and is now 3ft tall and 4ft wide, not a plant for the front of the border!

Does anyone know what it is, and is it really a geranium please.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

If that's a geranium I'm Sophia Loren!

But I haven't the foggiest what it is - it looks like an umbellifer, but not like any I know.  Where's Nut and Landgirl???

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i just google imaged your photo and it came up with Ambrosia artemisiifolia? common ragweed, i looked at the photos and the leaves look very similar but i'm sure someone will be along in a mo to tell you for sure image

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    Geranium maderense. A real beauty from Madeira, you did the right thing planting it at the front where it's beauty can be appreciated fully! Don't move it.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Then I am Sophia Loren .......... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

There's a lot worse things to be!image

Must be admitted, it doesn't look much like a garden geranium, but think of it as Herb Robert on steroids... I had one once, lovely aromatic slightly sticky flowers, seemed tap rooted and didn't take well to being moved, died over winter (Derbyshire).
    The one pictured above looks incredibly happy and healthy!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Could also consider G. palmatum, rather hardier and similar in style

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Maderense dont usually survive the winter outside. I suspect palmatum as nut says. You're really going to like it when it flowers. Lots of big pink flowers.image

• tina laxtontina laxton Posts: 33

it looks like what i have in my garden and they are poppies I could be wrong I usualy am