Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone planted out their sweet pea seedlings?

CatieCatie Posts: 50
As the title says - just wondering if I'm okay to go ahead and plant my sweet pea seedlings. I know they're pretty hardy but I've nursed these since last autumn and they're looking fab, so I'm pretty anxious that any remaining frosts might do them some damage? Any thoughts or past experiences would be greatly appreciated? Cate

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Have you hardened them off?  If so they won't be damaged by frost if you plant them out now image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

I haven't yet as we have had a few frosty mornings. But I'm very tempted in the next few days. I'm off later to hopefully get some rustic poles to grow the SP's up image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Catie, I can't find out where in UK (or elsewhere) you are. I am just about to plant out my sweet peas that have been hardened off for about 2 weeks. I am in the Norfolk Fens, and yes we have had frost this last week but sweet peas are not that fragile as far as I understand.image

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

yes planted mine out and they are doing well,touch wood in pots this year.

• CatieCatie Posts: 50
    Thanks for all your input.

I am in Lancashire, UK. We had a frost last week also.

My sweet peas have spent the odd day here and there outside on the decking but aren't fully hardened off.

I shall proceed to leave them out for a few days and then risk it overnight! Wish me luck, it's all very exciting!

I also have 5 small lavender cuttings that I took in Autumn last year. They're only about 2-3 inches - is it to early to plant these out also?

Cate
  • ECOBABYECOBABY Posts: 28

Planted my sweet peas out 2 weeks ago as artjac says they are not as tender as you think. Mine usually slow up for a few weeks then before you know it there going like a train up a track. I'm in Stafford in the Midlands.

• CatieCatie Posts: 50

Sweet peas all planted in the strawberry patch this evening - very exciting!! imageimage 

• Hello

really glad to have read about the hardiness of sweet peas, have probably pampered mine too long in the past, and am running out of windowsill space this year!

Any advice welcomed for this...

interested to read star gaze's mention of rustic poles. I have an idea of affixing an inverted hanging basket to the top of a pole for sweet peas to hang down from to give a kind of "tree" effect. 

Has anyone tried this? Was thinking of using (ironmongery, not office!!) staples and maybe for additional support a couple of hooks and some wire near the top of the pole/bottom of the basket. Any ideas? I presume one plant per pole is best in any case to prevent excess growth/weight? (my garden is tiny and previously I've grow 3 plants up a narrow-based pyramid of canes which invariably totter in the breeze once the plants have grown big!) 

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

When I have grown them I have put them out about now under plastic bottle mini-cloches, just to be careful with frost and to protect from anything that might decide to eat them.  They always sulk, sometimes some leaves have gone a bit white, but then suddenly they change gear and away they go.